When it comes to food in Montreal, the options are endless. This makes it a #struggle to search for the best food and restaurants in the city. Thus, I have created the following list that details every food in Montreal I believe you must try at least once.

In no specific order, these are the 29 things I can’t live without eating in Montreal.

1. Portuguese Roast Chicken at Romados

Montreal

Photo courtesy of Romados

This tender and smokey rotisserie chicken lathered with Romados’ house chili oil is where it’s at.

2. Garlic Potatoes at Boustan

Montreal

Photo by Helena Lin

Whether you are sober or drunk, these potatoes hit the spot every time. Pro-tip: pay an extra dollar or two for some shavings of shawarma.

3. Fois Gras Poutine at Au Pied de Cochon

Montreal

Photo courtesy of Camion Au Pied Du Cochon

Heart attack in a bowl? I think so… Who cares though because it’s worthy of a foodgasm.

4. Pork Buns at Satay Brothers

Montreal

Photo by Helena Lin

Nothing beats this “melt in your mouth” pork bun.

5. Crispy Poached Egg at EVOO

Montreal

Photo by Helena Lin

As if poached eggs weren’t scrumptious enough, frying them makes them even more decadent.

6. Maple Donut at Léché Desserts

Montreal

Photo by Prairie Broughton

Every donut at Léché Desserts is amazing, but the maple donut is classic.

7. HOT Sesame Bagel at St. Viateur Bagel

Montreal

Photo by Nikhil Tangirala

St. Viateur bagels are amazing regardless, but going to the original store to eat a bagel fresh out of the wood oven is a whole other experience.

8. Reggae Poutine at La Banquise

Montreal

Photo courtesy of Restaurant La Banquise

Yes, guac even makes poutine better.

9. Any Arepa at Bocadillo

Montreal

Photo courtesy of Bocadillo

Whether fried or grilled, the arepas at Bocadillo are mouthwatering. Be sure to order those yuca fries as well.

10. Marshmallow and Nutella Pizza at Cacao 70

Montreal

Photo: Ashley Marzouca

Pizza, what could be better? I know – Nutella as the “pizza sauce” and marshmallows as the “cheese”.

11. Any Eggs Benedict at L’Avenue

Montreal

Photo by Helena Lin

With every type of eggs benedict you can think of, L’Avenue is the place to go for your brunchies.

12. Nachos at Lola Rosa

Montreal

Photo courtesy of Lola Rosa

Lola’s gargantuan nachos are so delicious that you forget the dish is suitable for vegetarians.

13. Double Down at Joe Beef

Montreal

Photo courtesy of aaron from flickr.com

Yes, the Double Down is a play on the one from KFC (or PFK in Montreal), except for the fact that it replaces fried chicken with fried fois gras. Casual.

14. Raclette at Boîte à Fromages

Montreal

Photo courtesy of Boîte à Fromages

Melted cheese makes everything better, and the raclette from Boîte à Fromages is no exception.

15. Poutine Grilled Cheese at L’Gros Luxe

Montreal

Photo courtesy of L’Gros Luxe

A marriage between grilled cheese and poutine? I would say that’s a match made in heaven.

16. Any Tartare at Marché 27

Montreal

Photo courtesy of Marché 27

Pick and choose your tartare meat and flavour at Marché 27; popular combinations include Asian style tuna tartare and Parisian beef tartare. Be sure to try out the duck tartare, it’s out of this world.

17. Smoked Meat Sandwich at Schwartz’s

Montreal

Photo courtesy of ageing accozzaglia at flickr.com

A Montreal institution, Schwartz’s is without a doubt a restaurant you must visit for traditional smoked meat.

18. Pulled Pork Sandwich at Pas D’Cochon Dans Mon Salon

Montreal

Photo courtesy of Pas d’cochon Dans Mon Salon

Get ready to make a huge mess trying to eat this thing. Don’t worry though, it’s more than worth it.

19. Chocolate X06 Ice cream at Ripples

Montreal

Photo by Helena Lin

I don’t know what kind of chocolate goodness is in this ice cream…I just remember crying a little inside when I realized what I had been missing all these years.

20. Any burger at Patati Patata

Montreal

Photo courtesy of Maurice Li Photography (mauriceli.com)

The burgers here are not only cheap, but have all the toppings you could dream of. What’s not to love?

21. Apple crumble pie at Rockaberry

Montreal

Photo courtesy of Rockaberry

Just imagine this – a warmed up slice of the apple crumble pie, garnished with whipped cream and vanilla ice cream…

22. Oysters at La Boite Aux Huîtres

Montreal

Photo by Helena Lin

One of my favourite past times is sitting down for a glass of white wine and fresh oysters at Jean Talon market.

23. Pasta Sauce at Drogheria Fine

Montreal

Photo by Helena Lin

Although this requires further cooking at home, the pasta sauce made by Drogheria is some of the best I have ever had and goes amazingly well with just about anything.

24. Fish and Chips at Brit & Chips

Montreal

Photo courtesy of Brit & Chips

Who doesn’t like food that has been beer battered but especially when it’s light, crisp, and hits the spot?

25. Banana, Bacon and Nutella Waffle at L’Oeufrier 

Montreal

Photo courtesy of L’Oeufrier

Need I say more about why this is a must eat?

26. Rare Beef Pho at Pho Bac 97

Montreal

Photo by Jeremy Yeo

If you love a hot steamy bowl of flavourful pho on a cold winter day, Pho Bac 97 is the place for you.

27. Falafel at Nilufar 

Montreal

Photo courtesy of Nilufar

At $1.29 for a pita with falafel, Nilufar is both absolutely delicious and a steal.

28. Bibimbop at Ganadara 

Montreal

Photo courtesy of montrealbestfoodever.com

When I’m craving my Korean fix, Ganadara is the place to go for amazing bibimbop.

29. Pizza Margherita at Pizzeria Magpie

Montreal

Photo courtesy of Pizzeria Magpie

Nothing beats a classic Margherita pizza when done right, and Magpie definitely makes an excellent pie.