Think about some of your favorite restaurants. What about them keeps you coming back?

When I first stepped into Momonoki, everything from the warm ambiance and the bright and classy interior to the delectable food gave me a feeling that I'd be back again, and again, and again. And I have, well over 15 times since a friend introduced it to me a year ago.

Everything is impressive. The food looks good, and it tastes even better. If discovering unique, delicious Atlanta dining destinations is your thing, you're going to want to read the thoughts I've collected on the Momonoki experience and some of its classic dishes.

Atmosphere

Jessica Apple

One of the things Momonoki does best is creating a relaxed, natural environment fit for either studying or dining with friends. The entire interior is dotted with potted and hanging plants, making the space feel like a little sanctuary nestled in the busy streets of Atlanta. Diners entering the adjacent café door are greeted by a barista and a small case of specialty pastries or are welcome to seat themselves in the main restaurant section and start ordering online using a QR code.

The lighting is bright but calm, and light-colored wood decorates the inside. Also, either the desire for intimacy or the area limitations of city spaces causes there to be little room inside, which means fewer tables and people and thus less noise. 

Café Items

Jessica Apple

Between the buttery and fluffy croissants, dense and lightly sweet mochi donuts, and intriguing items like matcha brownies, you honestly can't go wrong with the pastries. The only thing that raises an eyebrow is the bacon scone, though I can't say I've ever tried that. These flavor creations aren't what you'd see at your average American café, and they're pretty heavenly, making the trip to get them very worth it.

Jessica Apple

Pictured here are two classic Momonoki drinks: the iced coffee and matcha lemonade, which are both pretty consistently delicious. You'll notice a theme with matcha and black sesame at this café. Momonoki also serves lattes, coffee sodas, iced strawberry matcha (which is next up on my to-try list), and even Japanese-inspired cocktails. And let me tell you, the caffeine drinks definitely power in-depth work sessions.

Jessica Apple

The black sesame and matcha affogatos are two of the main reasons I'm drawn to come back again and again. The ice cream is soft and bursting with flavor. You can sip the espresso separately, but I suggest pouring it slowly over the soft serve and letting the flavors enhance each other. This item is an experience. And especially when you come to the café to sit down with work, who doesn't like a sweet treat and an energy boost all in one?

Jessica Apple

If you like black sesame, the black sesame latte is absolute perfection. The rich nutty flavor shines through but doesn't overpower the espresso. As an added bonus, Momonoki nails the latte art every time so it tastes and looks mouthwatering.

Purchase one of these drinks or pastries, and you'll get access to an intimate seating area on the floor above the café and restaurant! The spacious windows allow you to see what's going on both in Momonoki below and unfortunately outside on the busy highway, but the natural light and plants still make this a beautiful study space.

Restaurant Dishes

Okay, now what you really kept reading to find out about...the food. I could rave about it in enough paragraphs to fill a book, but below are the most scrumptious highlights.

Jessica Apple

The soy milk miso ramen is by far the best vegetarian dish. Aside from noodles and its unique creamy soy milk miso broth, it includes cabbage, radish, chili oil, fried mushroom, roasted sweet corn, and the most buttery, jiggly soft egg you've ever seen. Is your mouth watering yet?

Jessica Apple

Momonoki excels at crafting healthy poke bowls with the freshest-tasting seafood. And it's certainly not shy about the portion of fish it gives you, either, so I was satisfied knowing I was getting my money's worth. Bowls include wakame seaweed, cucumber, radish, and avocado with a small scoop of rice to make them taste light and delicious, and they offer variations with yellowtail, tuna, salmon, or a combination.

Jessica Apple

Salmon chazuke is an ultra-savory delight with a broth-soaked rice base. The salmon could definitely use some spices, or at the very least salt, but is flash-fried to be lightly crispy on the outside, creating an interesting texture effect. And just look at that monster avocado! Fitting with the pattern, this is also topped with the most buttery, jiggly soft egg you've ever seen.

In addition to these, Momonoki offers dipping ramen, brothless ramen, warm rice bowls, Japanese curry, and katsu sandos. You can view its extensive menu and other restaurant information here.