I consider myself to be somewhat of a food connoisseur and I enjoy keeping myself updated on the new and improved eateries that pop up in the Syracuse area. When I heard the name “Modern Malt,” I automatically thought of a diner–with a modern twist. After looking into what this new joint was all about, I felt as though all of my prayers had been answered.

I will never again feel obligated to wait in a 3-hour line to get a table at Stella’s. I honestly feel so overwhelmed by this menu that, even though they offer a variety of sandwiches, salads and burgers, I may only be able to highlight a few of my favorite dishes in the breakfast department. From waffles to pancakes to eggs, they have it all with every delicious modern twist you can imagine.

Modern Malt

Photo by Aly Forman

Lets start with the pancakes.

The first thing that really caught my eye was the Elvis B-Side which is bacon pancakes, bananas, and peanut butter drizzle. HEAVENLY COMBO. They also have chocolate chip and blueberry pancakes which you can never go wrong with. All of these are served with honey butter and whipped cream, and the prices really aren’t going to break your piggy bank open.

Modern Malt

Photo by Aly Forman

Modern Malt

Photo by Aly Forman

Next I am moving on to French toast and waffles. All of these stuck out to me as meals I would like to consume for the rest of my life. Let’s talk about the strawberry cheesecake stuffed French toast. You might be wondering to yourself–how does that even work? Let me explain. The French toast is stuffed with sweet cream cheese, and strawberry ginger jam. It is then covered with graham cracker crumble and drizzled with fresh strawberries. Try not to drool for this next one. RED VELVET WAFFLES? These waffles are topped with sweet cream cheese and a little bit of love.

Modern Malt

Photo by Aly Forman

Now here comes my favorite part–the eggs. Add a little protein to your breakfast along with some amazing dishes. I always find that I have a love-hate relationship with a restaurant that has so many good options because it makes it so difficult for me to decide what to eat. If I had to choose though, I would go for the Pig Benedict and the Pesto Omelette.

These two options make me feel like I’m ordering off a menu in SoHo. The Pig Benedict consists of braised pork belly, cranberry reduction, poached egg, house hollandaise and onion frizzles on top of biscuits. Please tell me what sounds bad about that. Lastly, the wonderful pesto omelette which consists of cilantro pesto, roasted red peppers, spinach, and mozzarella cheese and shaved parmesan.

I don’t know what is going to happen when I arrive at Modern Malt and ACTUALLY have to choose. Please make your way there and let us know what you thought!

cheap

Address: 325 S. Clinton Street

Hours: Monday – Wednesday 7am-10pm; Thursday – Friday 7am-4am; Saturday 8am-4pm; Sunday 8am-4pm