The best places to go for food are always the most culturally authentic ones. So when it comes to Japanese foods like matcha, ramen, and sushi, what better place to eat than an authentic Japanese supermarket?

Located on River Road in Edgewater, New Jersey, Mitsuwa houses some of the most delicious and unique Japanese dishes you can feast your eyes upon, in both the food court and the supermarket. Once inside, not only will you feel as though you've been teleported to Japan, but you will find yourself growing hungrier by the second.

beer, pizza
Stephanie Spivak

#SpoonTip: Make sure to bring cash because some of these places won't accept card or have a required minimum!

Restaurants

WATEISHOKU KANEDA

spam, coffee, chips, crunch, date
Stephanie Spivak

This stand houses the basic foods that you think of when you hear "Japanese food." Dishes include basic soups, noodles, and a plethora of other mouthwatering meals with various meats and Japanese styled vegetables. If you want to experience true Japanese culinary beauty, this is the stand for you. And if you're a fan of the classics like udon, soba, and teriyaki anything, you'll feel both comfortable and pleasantly surprised here. 

sushi
Stephanie Spivak

Omusubi Gonbei

Stephanie Spivak

If you like what we call "rice balls," you'll love this stand. With rice imported straight from the motherland, these decorated concoctions of seaweed and rice are hand crafted with love for the satisfaction of all foodies, especially lovers of rice and fish. They also come adorned with various other details like salmon, shrimp, pickled plum, and much more.

beer
Stephanie Spivak
beer
Stephanie Spivak

Santouka

beer, coffee, wine, tea, ale
Stephanie Spivak

A classic Japanese staple: ramen. It's a small menu, but it is packed with mind-blowing flavor and authenticity. More often than not, you'll find the line to this ramen shop to be nothing short of extensive, but that's only a testament to the true delicious nature of the ramen found here.

Nihonbashi Ten-don Kaneko Hannosuke

Classic tempura, from fish to eel. For the fans of the fried, this is the place for you. Similar to Wateishoku Kaneda, this stand has a variety of plates and meals, centered around tempura and soba noodles.

Tokyo Hanten

beer, pizza
Stephanie Spivak

This stand doesn't limit itself to only Japanese flavors. It is a fusion of Japanese and Chinese cuisines, offering plates such as fried dumplings, meatloaf, noodles, shrimp, and rice in a plethora of combinations.

Stephanie Spivak

Cafes and Bakeries

Hamada-ya

beer, tea, cake, coffee
Stephanie Spivak

One of the many small bakeries within Mitsuwa, Hamada-ya, offers not only cakes, croissants, and things of that sort, but also sells whole loaves of freshly baked bread and even cold sandwiches for you to take home as a quick lunch.

Stephanie Spivak
bread, chicken
Stephanie Spivak

KAI SWEETS

beer, coffee, wine
Stephanie Spivak

This is another place for a quick lunch or a cafe stop, offering an array of beverages like coffee, lattes, and bubble teas to be paired with macaroons and other pastries. This cafe offers not only the classic drinks and pastries you think of when you see a cafe, but also foods like omelets with rice and sandwiches. This stop is perfect for a Japanese lunch date.

cake, sweet, chocolate, candy
Stephanie Spivak

Kobe Fugetsudo

cake
Stephanie Spivak

Here's a stand that lovers of delicious sweets will appreciate. A fusion of Japanese and French baking, this stand offers high quality, rich pastries that are perfect for pairing with tea.

tea, pizza, beer, sushi
Stephanie Spivak

matcha LOVE by ITO EN

asparagus
Stephanie Spivak

Just as the name depicts, matcha lovers will lose it here. Matcha has become quite the popular kitchen addition among Americans in recent years, but the Japanese have been drinking and eating concoctions with this delectable powder forever.

This stand offers soft-serve ice cream bubble tea, and hot and iced green tea for anyone who wants to try or already appreciates the magic that is matcha. And if you're in the mood for some soft serve but aren't interested in matcha, they also serve adzuki bean (red bean paste) flavors. You can also take home some matcha powder, loose or packaged into tea bags, for your matcha-convenience. 

Minamoto Kitchoan

meat, sausage, ham
Stephanie Spivak

Similar to Kobe Fugetsudo, Minamoto Kitchoan offers delectable pastries of many sorts, ranging from cakes to jellies and cookies all wrapped in intricate packaging, making them perfect for gifts.

tea, beer, cake
Stephanie Spivak

OISHINBO

This stand serves entirely one thing, but it is probably one of the most popular and delicious treats you can find: red bean paste (also known as adzuki bean) and custard filled cakes. In various shapes (primarily fish and ovals), these delectable desserts are offered alongside red bean and matcha ice cream for an all-around good time.

Royce

coffee, tea, espresso
Stephanie Spivak

Chocolate lovers, you are welcome. This little heaven inside of Mitsuwa holds dozens of different chocolate bars and creations (like cookies and wafers) that anyone will enjoy. This includes matcha white chocolate, bitter dark chocolate, and everything in between. So if you're a fan of anything chocolate and the creations of the Japanese, this little store is right up your alley. 

coffee, beer, tea
Stephanie Spivak
tea, cake
Stephanie Spivak