It's been almost a year since I moved to Abu Dhabi, and I have to say it's been a year of culinary exploration- from Lebanese food, to Ukrainian cuisine, this city has a lot to offer. Surprisingly though, I haven't been able to try much food that's local to this country. In fact, most of my friends haven't either. But all that's about to change, because I recently visited Meylas, a restaurant that boasts a range of typical Emirati food.

Luckily for me, I visited Meylas as part of a class, so I escaped the confusion of what to order, because everything we got was pre-decided based on what the most traditional dishes are. But if you're new to this cuisine, here is a guide to what you could order to experience the rich flavors of Emirati food. 

Siya Chandrie

As an Indian, the combination of flavors in the food was new to me, yet somewhat familiar because of the spices. I can definitely see how some of this food is the perfect comfort food on a lazy weekend, even though the tastes are so new. 

Begin your meal with some delicious chai. The sweet, milky and flavorful tea is served fresh and complements the meal perfectly.

Siya Chandrie

To me, the combination of sweet and salty tastes in the meal was fascinating. Order the Balaleet to experience this. The fluffy omelet is served on a bed of sweetened vermicelli. This pairing may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's definitely worth the experience. My personal favorite, however, was the Chbaab with a cheese filling. This crispy crepe was absolutely delicious and reminded me of a similar South Indian dish, the dosa

#SpoonTip- Harees is another very typical Emirati dish. I'd say it's an acquired taste, but if you're open to experimenting with new flavors, you should definitely try it. 

Siya Chandrie

A major selling point of Meylas is also the decor and ambience. According to the restaurant's food consultant, Priya Jagannathan, the rustic, homely feel is meant to resemble a traditional Emirati living room, and the food to bring a sense of nostalgia. So make sure you visit with a large group of friends.

Siya Chandrie

As someone with a massive sweet tooth, no meal is complete without dessert, and the desserts at Meylas absolutely cannot be missed. The crumbly Khabees was incredibly dense, rich and flavored with cardamom. It's impossible to stop at one bite. Trust me, I tried.

Siya Chandrie

I'm saving the best for the end, because Legeimat deserves an entire article of its own. These fried dough balls, dipped in sweet date syrup are light, hot, and the most incredible way to celebrate the end of an exhausting week. A cup of Karak with these fritters will light up your day.

The open kitchen gives you a view of what happens behind the scenes, and you can actually watch your legeimat as it gets fried. Painfully tempting, but so worth it. 

Siya Chandrie

Next time you're in the city, deciding where to grab lunch, definitely check out Meylas to get a taste of Emirati cuisine. Even if not for an entire meal, make sure to grab some desserts and Karak. You won't regret it.