Recent events have quickly mobilized the University of Vermont's chapter to support black-owned businesses in Vermont. Here are four of Burlington's black-owned food/beverage venues, all of which are certainly delicious! 

Kismayo Kitchen

Owner and Somali-immigrant Ahmed Omar serves up some of the tastiest foods in Burlington at his 23 seat restaurant, located at the intersection of Riverside Ave. and N. Prospect. Although it only opened a year ago, Kismayo Kitchen has quickly become an important member of the Old North End's restaurant scene. Omar, as he's affectionately known by his patrons, makes everything from Somali cuisine, to pasta, to Philly cheesesteaks. The menu features robust options, many of which can be made vegan or modified to fit certain dietary preferences. My friend Dan (who is a regular at Kismayo), recommends the coconut stew or the grilled goat. 

Read more about Omar's story here. Kismayo Kitchen is currently open for takeout orders.

Mawuhi African Market 

You can find this delicious gem at the corner of North St. and N. Winooski in Burlington. They serve and cater to all types of African cuisine including curried goat, okra stew, peanut butter soup, and fish and chips (with plantains)! Prince Awhaitey, a graduate of Burlington High School and one of the operators at the market, is a vegan with a passion for helping others through their nutritional journey. He offers a make-your-own juice and smoothie menu including delicious favorites like ginger lemon detox and workout smoothies. 

Zafa Wines 

The motto at their South End cellar is simple: Wine is Farming. Owner Krista is committed to a no-bull approach to fermentation, as well as offering prime crafts-womanship to all of her products. Members (all over the U.S.) can join the Counterspell Club and receive either two or four bottles a year. The membership also comes with additional benefits: 20% off pours at their cellar, exclusive access to "wine club only" releases, first access to all wines, and invitations to special events hosted by the company. 

Jamaican Supreme

Looking for a food truck with flavor? Look no further than Jamaican Supreme. You can find the truck parked on Lime Kiln Rd. in South Burlington most days, and order plates with your choice of jerk chicken, ox-tail, curried chicken, curried goat, and others (meat selections rotate). Plates are served with rice, peas, and steamed cabbage. 

Special thanks to Spoon-Vermont contributor Meaghan Contois for the idea for this article!