Marketplace Thanksgiving was hotly anticipated, and excited murmurs about the event started as early as last week. Everybody had been told by the upperclassmen that this was an event you didn’t want to miss. It was supposed to be the best meal at Marketplace yet – and it was. The meal lived up to the hype, and everyone who attended left feeling full and happy. Days like Wednesday are why Marketplace is important to the freshman experience here at Duke – they create an atmosphere of community and friendship that strengthens the bonds between classmates.

So many people, freshmen and nostalgic upperclassmen alike, went to eat at Marketplace on Wednesday that the line was out the door. As early as 4:15, people were lining up to enjoy the privilege of being the first ones to sample dishes like grilled, butter-basted, cold water lobster tail and applewood bacon green bean casserole. In a scene straight out of K-Ville, people at the front of the line were camped out, doing work as they waited. At one point in the night, the line even stretched all the way across the quad to the steps of Lilly Library.

thanksgiving

Students “tenting” to be among the first to swipe in (Photo by Sydney Segal)

thanksgiving

Photo by Sydney Segal

When people finally made it inside, out of the cold, they were greeted by a transformed Marketplace. If a meal was ever worth a swipe, it was this one. Tablecloths and floral arrangements brought the colors of fall to the dining hall. What is normally the stir-fry station had vegetarian and vegan friendly options, like tofurkey with portobello mushrooms and a roasted asparagus quiche. The main station had all of the Thanksgiving staples, from a delicious cranberry stuffing to a carving station for turkey and ham. The grill offered the “fancier” options of lobster and grilled trout. A mountain of bread with whipped butter and various flavors of olive oil replaced the pizza station, and the pasta station featured a variety of salads, like the delicious chickpea, cucumber and onion one. Best of all was the dessert station. Included were the traditional apple and pumpkin pies, but chocolate mousse cake, cheesecake and bananas foster flambé also were present. With all of these delicious options available, there was no need to get creative with Marketplace hacks.

thanksgiving

Photo by Sydney Segal

thanksgiving

Photo by Sydney Segal

thanksgiving

Photo by Sydney Segal

thanksgiving

Photo by Sydney Segal

thanksgiving

Photo by Sydney Segal

thanksgiving

Photo by Sydney Segal

thanksgiving

Photo by Sydney Segal

Most tables were crammed with friends and food, and many approached the meal like it was family style. There was so much food that you couldn’t possibly fit everything you wanted to try on one, or even two plates. We strategized – one person got the turkey, the stuffing, the sweet potato casserole, another loaded up on the desserts, and yet another was in charge of bread. With food aplenty, we ate first, seconds, even thirds, wanting to sample everything that Marketplace had to offer. Filled to the point of bursting, we reluctantly faced the cold to return to our dorms, warmed by spiced apple cider and the company of good friends.

thanksgiving

Photo by Sydney Segal

For more Thanksgiving fun, check out: