As a New Yorker going to school in Boston, there's not that much of a difference when it comes to eating out. But, as the saying goes, you don't know what you've got until it's gone. For me, that void is dollar pizza at three in the morning and bagels. 

Whenever I find a place that reminds me of New York, I feel the need to share it. This is paramount when it has to do with bagels. Located in Cambridge, Mamaleh's has all the aspects of an NYC delicatessen, minus all that NYC attitude. 

beer, coffee, tea
Sofía Vainesman

Having just opened up this past summer, I made a plan to check it out. #Spoontip: make a reservation. When a hostess tells you it will be a two-hour wait, you realize it wasn't the smartest move to go to Sunday brunch without a reservation. Learn from my mistakes, my devout brunch friends. 

For risk takers who would rather wing it than make a reservation, you have two options. The first is to wait it out in the conveniently placed gift shop Mamaleh's has in the front. They offer a variety of Jewish goodies. Second options is to take a to-go sandwich and coffee from the deli stand and eat outside in the super trendy Kendall Square. 

beer, coffee
Sofía Vainesman

For those wanting the full dining experience, it's completely worth it. Mamaleh's maintains a classic diner vibe, yet the high ceilings and natural light give it an open, relaxed atmosphere that you won't find in a typical diner. 

I tried the fish plate on my first experience. It comes with your choice of bagel, cream cheese and fish (I chose everything, duh, dill cream cheese, and Nova Lox), red onions, cucumbers, olives, and capers. Let me tell you, that schpread was as beautiful as it was delicious.

The bagel itself was delicious, for Boston standards that is. The lox had a great texture and wasn't too fishy. Price-wise, the plate was $14, and while it was a lot of food and I was pretty schtuffed, I would classify Mamaleh's as a treat yo self place. Isn't that what brunch is for anyway?

tea, vegetable, bread, salad, platter, cheese, coffee, bagel
Sofía Vainesman

This new joint easily falls onto my list of favorite places to eat in the Boston area.  I'd definitely bring the folks (or anyone willing to pay for my food really) to eat here.