It’s becoming harder and harder to differentiate oneself from Atlanta’s seemingly thousands of Asian-inspired eateries. Yet with its chef-driven and highly seasonal menu, Makan does just that.

makan atlanta

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

While not flawless, the restaurant serves an interesting combination of Chinese and Korean comfort food. Add this family style dining experience to your growing list of must-visit restaurants in Decatur.

makan atlanta

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

The restaurant is open and inviting, with an expansive bar and open kitchen to view the chefs behind the counter. We started with the pork and shrimp stuffed wontons. The filling wasn’t incredibly flavorful, but the classic garlic and chili oil dressing added depth that kept us wanting more. Go for the pork belly buns, a staple at Asian eateries these days, which remain one of Makan’s most popular items.

makan atlanta

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

The eatery is family style, so be sure to go with a large group to sample most of the menu. You can’t go wrong with the Ramyun, a Korean-style ramen with pork and a 63-degree egg. The broth is rich and spicy, and ranks as some of the better ramen I’ve had. Plus, they split an order of ramen for us, with just a small extra charge for the extra egg and pork. This was pivotal, as it allowed us to not just fill up on the delicious soup.

makan atlanta

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

Under the seafood section, we ordered Hweh Dup Bap, a rice bowl with that day’s catch served raw. While we felt a little skimped by the amount of fish, the accompanying roe and vegetables made the bowl tasty and interesting.

makan atlanta

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

The daily vegetables also change regularly. We decided to order the greens in garlic sauce, which on that particular night was sautéed bok choy tossed with garlic, bacon and nuts. The dish was simple and fresh, as I expect all their vegetables are.

If you go with a group, you’re sure to get a diverse sampling of vegetables, meats and seafood, all at a reasonable price. With such a seasonal focus, you’re almost guaranteed to find something new on the menu each time you visit, making Makan a new staple of the Decatur restaurant scene.

average

Location: 130 Clairemont Ave, Decatur, GA 30030

Hours: Tues-Thurs 11am-2:30pm, 5pm-10pm Friday 11am-2:30pm, 5pm-11pm Saturday 11am-2:30pm, 5pm-11pm Sunday 12pm-2:30pm, 5pm-9pm