Boston got much sweeter in March of 2018 when Magnolia Bakery opened up a location in Faneuil Hall Marketplace. Since then, the spot has been flooded with visitors hoping to taste some of the iconic treats they offer. These treats include cupcakes, cheesecakes, bars and their most famous item: banana pudding. With the changing seasons, Magnolia continuously updates their menu to reflect the representative flavors. They have recently released their fall-themed items, which include Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake and Pumpkin Gingersnap Banana Pudding. Here are five of the most autumn-esque items that will have you running down to Faneuil Hall immediately.

Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake

Maria Principe

As a cheesecake super fan, this item had to be one of my favorites. It consisted of a ‘New-York Style” pumpkin cheesecake complete with a gingersnap crust, whipped cream topping and toasted pecans. This basically tasted like I was eating a pumpkin pie and a pecan pie all at once. The cheesecake was moist and delicious, without having an overpowering pumpkin flavor. The pecans added a crunch, as well as a slight nutty flavor. Lastly, the fresh whipped cream was the perfect light and airy topping for this cake. I also thought the size of this cheesecake was perfect for one person. To me, this cheesecake really exemplified all of Thanksgiving in one perfect little bite.

Pumpkin Pecan Bar

Maria Principe

Sticking with the pumpkin-pecan duo was a great idea on Magnolia’s part. They combine the two flavors perfectly in this bite-sized bar. General manager Sarah describes this item as “if a pumpkin pie and a pecan pie had a baby” and, honestly, she’s not wrong. With just one bite, I got the sweet and nutty flavor of the pecans as well as the spicy pumpkin flavor. The size of this bar was perfect for a quick treat and definitely satisfied my sweet tooth. I would not hesitate to bring a box of these bars to Thanksgiving this year!

Apple Crumb Bar

Maria Principe

If you’re looking for the perfect desert for a chilly, fall day, this is it! This apple crumb bar consists of a shortbread crust with a slow-cooked apple filling and brown sugar crumble on top. I loved this item because it’s a super delicious choice for anyone who is not into pumpkin spice flavor. Taking a bite out of this bar tasted like a freshly baked apple pie, with the spicy apples and the sweet crumble on top. Similar to the Pumpkin-Pecan bar, I thought this bar was the perfect size for a single-serve treat.

Pumpkin Spice Cupcake with a Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting and a Frosted Cranberry

Maria Principe

This cupcake was insanely delicious. I think it combined all of the essential fall flavors into one desert. The pumpkin spice cake tasted like nutmeg and cinnamon, while the caramel cream cheese frosting added a toasty flavor. The frosted cranberry on top was the perfect final addition: it added some sweetness to the combination of flavors. This was one of my favorite pumpkin spice cupcakes I’ve ever had because of how much it had going on, and how well everything worked together.

Pumpkin Gingersnap Banana Pudding

Maria Principe

Last, but definitely not least is Magnolia’s fall take on their iconic banana pudding.  Magnolia’s banana pudding comes in small, medium and large size, and of course I had to go for the larger size on this one because I just couldn’t help myself. When you take a bite out of this pudding, you initially get the sweet banana flavor, and then it hits you with a flavor resembling that of a pumpkin spice latte. The small bits of gingersnap cookies were also a great addition to the pudding as a sweet surprise within the thick, creamy pudding. The pumpkin flavor is more of an aftertaste, so it is not as intense for those who don’t always love pumpkin spice. I think that this flavor was the perfect choice on Magnolia’s part because it will bring in those who love just banana pudding, as well as those who love pumpkin spice.

Not only did I get to try some of Magnolia’s delicious treats, I also got to learn how some of them are made! General manager, Sarah, and head decorator, Courtney were nice enough to travel from Faneuil Hall to Northeastern’s campus to host a Halloween-themed cupcake decorating class. They came prepared with everything one would need to make a bakery-worthy cupcake including freshly baked cupcakes, buttercream frosting and sprinkles. First, Sarah taught us how to create the perfect Magnolia swirl with our frosting. This technique involved smoothing the buttercream and rotating the cupcake just the right amount. Sounds easy, right? It was actually much more difficult than it seems and I now have a newfound appreciation for those who can perfectly swirl some frosting. We were also able to decorate our cupcakes with the cutest edible Halloween décor including sprinkles and sugar witches. After this, we moved on to the second part of the class where Courtney taught us how to decorate our cupcakes like an eyeball and a mummy. This process included piping bags filled with different colored frostings as well as some skillful precision, especially when putting the veins on those eyeballs! Everyone got to take home the six cupcakes they had decorate so that they could share with others (or not share).

Maria Principe
Maria Principe

Sarah and Courtney were so nice and encouraging, even when my Magnolia swirl turned disastrous. We were so happy they could come to campus for this event and I was so lucky to be able to try some of Magnolia's fall treats. Head down to Faneuil Hall ASAP to try them before they go out of season. I know I'm reaching for my left-over banana pudding as I finish this article!