As a fitness and health freak, açai bowls are not a foreign concept to me. And with family and friends living in Los Angeles, Pasadena, Newport Beach and more, I know how amazing they can actually taste.

While I’ve tried to make my own açai bowls at home and gone to places claiming they have “authentic” tasting bowls, I was never satisfied with what the midwest was providing. However, that was until Bowl of Heaven, a west coast acai bowl, smoothie, and juice chain bought out a spot in Hilldale Mall just a few minutes off campus. Their prices will also not burn a hole in your pocket like some.

With the store front being open for about 2 weeks now, I have shamelessly gone five times and am now on first name basis with a few of the employees. While I try to make it a mission to get a different flavor every time, it is so hard when the ones I have already had are so delicious to. In hopes of getting a wide variety of flavors, I took my roommates on a mission to try a whole host of different flavors. My roommates include California natives who are picky about their açai bowls and those who had never had some; aka I was getting many different opinions.

Because the menu is so ENORMOUS, we unfortunately cannot provide a review on every flavor. But I can tell you that every single one is amazing. Not only are the ingredients fresh and flavorful, but they are blended to a perfect consistency that many cafes in the Midwest cannot seem to perfect. Their toppings variety is also endless and amazing. I am tempted to go in and buy a bag of their granola that they pour on top of the bowls. Each item comes with the granola on the bottom, topped with the amazing açai and fruit blend, and then more granola on top with fruit and honey, with the option to add additional toppings such as dark chocolate.

Acai

Photo courtesy of bowlofheaven.com

Now, with the help of my roommates, I am able to provide you with a list of many menu items we have tried and loved. While the name may seem a bit basic to some, they literally do provide you with a bowl of heaven.

1. The Red Zinger

MY FAVORITE. I have gotten it 2 times already and it pained me not to get it the other day when I wanted to try a new flavor. The recipe calls for açai, mango, pineapple, blueberries, raspberries, lime juice, fresh ginger, and coconut water. It is topped with granola, honey, raspberries and dark chocolate, making it that much better. While I am not a huge ginger fan, the subtle ginger adds so much more flavor and health benefits. Talk about a win-win situation. Even my roommate who doesn’t like ginger has gotten this bowl twice.

Acai

Photo by Libby Aik

2. The North Shore Original

The first bowl that got me hooked. The basic strawberry, banana, blueberry and apple juice bowl topped with granola, honey and bananas. It just tastes like a smooth, fruity dream in your mouth. Modify with almond milk instead of apple juice or add chocolate and strawberries on top, this bowl is amazing any way you take it.

Acai

Photo by Libby Aik

3. The SeaSider

My roommate from Orange County, California said this bowl tasted like her mom shipped it to her from her favorite açai bowl joint. The refreshing blend of açai, strawberries, banana, pineapple, blueberries and almond milk, topped with granola, strawberries, coconut, and honey is any day maker.

Acai

Photo by Libby Aik

4. Dan’s PB Bowl.

The dessert of açai bowls. It literally tastes like a dessert but it is packed with super foods and health benefits to keep you going. The bananas, strawberries, and CHOCOLATE almond milk mix perfectly. With bananas and granola on top, it is perfect (I added chocolate too).

Side note: I sincerely apologize that I devoured this bowl before being able to take a picture…

5. Sunset Bowl

I love kiwi, and this is topped with kiwi, therefore I love this bowl. This was also a roomie favorite. Two of them ended up getting this bowl and devouring it in an instant. The sweet blend of mango, pineapple, and strawberries with coconut milk topped with kiwi, strawberries, granola, and coconut make you feel like you’re watching the sunset on a tropical island.

Acai

Photo by Libby Aik

Unfortunately I have yet to try the Lime-a-licious, Paradise, and Popeye bowl but they are all next on my to-do list. Their menu of smoothies is the same as the açai bowls but it comes in a drink-able form minus the toppings. Awesome if you’re in a rush.

To view the full and complete menu of my new home, Bowl of Heaven, click HERE

I am addicted and I am proud. #açaibowllife