As the spring semester gets closer and the university blues begin to settle in, you must be wondering how to enjoy the little time you have left. You could spend time at home escaping the bitter cold weather, or you could be enjoying the foodie culture available in Long Island. If you decide to take the train over to the island (the right choice), and don't know where to go, head over to the small town of Farmingdale and make your way to Vinoco East.

What is Vinoco East?

Vinoco East is a fusion tapas restaurants that brings together various culinary elements to make appetizing and innovative dishes.  Chef Carlos Roman brings his imagination, years of experience, and personal touch to each and every dish that leaves the kitchen. While it is easy to lose interest in restaurants over time, the constantly changing menu and the friendly/welcoming staff will keep you coming back for more.

The Menu

Rahul Chaudhry

One of the main specialities of Vinoco East are the freshly made empanadas, complemented by the creamy and flavorful sauce drizzled over it. I personally recommend the lobster mac & cheese empanada and the spinach & feta empanada which are interesting twists to a classical Spanish dish.

Rahul Chaudhry

I would also recommend trying the saganaki & falafel. More accurately described as warm and soft fried cheese paired with falafel stuffed with goat cheese , sriracha pepper salsa, cilantro chimichurri, and served with yellow creamy sauce. I thought the falafel's tasted amazingly fresh, light, and flavorful, and worked well with the heavy and satisfying taste of saganaki.

Rahul Chaudhry

The three cheese, arugula, pineapple, and prosciutto pani puri salad was an interesting and refined twist to a popular Indian street food.  While the taste was a little too sweet for me and I prefer the traditional taste of pani puri, I was glad to be able to try the interesting flavors that the chef chose to include in this dish. 

Rahul Chaudhry

The tempura fish tacos with the fresh catch of the day, pickled onions, cilantro chimichurri, mixed greens, and cilantro aioli was another favorite.  The condiments and vegetables were quite ordinary, but what truly grabbed my attention was the freshly fried fish and corn tortilla that was brought directly from the kitchen to my table.

Rahul Chaudhry

While I personally did not have the stomach room to try the Kentucky bourbon BBQ, bacon, and peach salsa steak, my foodie friend described it as perfectly grilled cutlets with sharp, sweet, and creamy elements.

Before you regret not getting out of your blankets and binge watching Netflix, head over to Long Island before school starts and make sure to take advantage of the amazing restaurants only a train ride away.