I had been dying to try out Lola Jean's for months. A few weeks ago, I was grabbing some ice cream with my friends at Clementine's Naughty & Nice Creamery, which is right down the street from this neighborhood coffee shop. A bright flash of yellow from inside the restaurant caught my eye as I was walking back to my car, so I decided to take a peek in the window. My eyes were instantly drawn to the adorable lemon wall and unique furniture. I instantly pulled out my phone to find them on Instagram, and was bombarded with a variety of enticing eats. I knew I needed to try it as soon as possible! The next weekend I gathered up some of my friends and found myself digging into a delicious brunch in front of their signature lemon wall.

To add to the appeal that already encompasses the space, the restaurant is named after the owner's daughter, Lola Jean. The name itself showcases the value they place on family and connection.  As soon as you walk in, you can feel the emphasis they place on the relationship they have with their employees and customers. I felt right at home while I was there, and was surprised to discover how valued and cared for their employees made me feel. That is a feeling I have rarely experienced at your average restaurant. 

The Eats

Lissane Kafie

If there's one thing Lola Jean's got right, it's the food. I had such a difficult time deciding what to eat since it all looked so appetizing! Their menu, which was created by familiar Saint Louis chef, Russell Ping, owner of Russell's on Macklind, contains a variety of perfectly executed options that are sure to satisfy all your breakfast and lunch desires! Some of my favorites are the Caramelized Onion Toast and Avocado & Calabrian Chili Toast because the focaccia they serve it on is the fluffiest bread I have ever eaten. I would 10/10 recommend it just for the bread! They also serve up some amazing Sourdough Pancakes, Frittatas, and a Breakfast Grilled Cheese. 

The Drinks

As a partner with Kaldi's Coffee, a local Saint Louis favorite, Lola Jean's serves a variety of coffee drinks as well as specialty blends and unique house made syrups that give you a distinct experience you won't find anywhere else! When I visited Lola Jean's, my friends and I tried their fall syrup, which is a combination of maple, clove, ginger, and orange that pairs perfectly with the flavor of espresso. I'm excited to try their other syrups, like the orange, rosemary, and black pepper syrup.

Their Mission

Karly Wilson

I think the mission of Lola Jean's is something that really makes your experience there unlike any other. Every month, the coffee shop partners with a different local charity, and donates a percentage of their proceeds. They also look for creative ways to support non-profits, such as donating their space for charitable events or creating a special drink that will support their cause.

I highly recommend taking the time to check out Lola Jean's and their charming interior. You are guaranteed to leave satisfied by their offerings!

Hours of Operation:

Tuesday - Sunday, 7am - 2pm

Location: 5400 Nottingham Ave. Saint Louis, MO 63109