Today I tip my hat to The Market as it has been providing me with godly snacks throughout my twenty years. As much as it pains me to do this, I will now share my knowledge of this oasis with all the tourists out there and will highlight the local hideaway in New Brunswick’s capital city: The Fredericton Boyce Farmers Market.

The Venue

Fredericton Market

Photo courtesy of Fredericton Boyce Farmers Market

Just follow the people – half the city is at Market on Saturday mornings. You’re bound to run into high school friends you didn’t really want to see or that blind date from last week whose calls you’ve been dodging. Keep your sunglasses on, your ball cap down and don’t stop walking, it’s all part of the game.

The Coffee

Fredericton Market

Photo by Lauren Colter

It’s early, it’s your day off and it’s a Saturday. We get it, you’re hurting and caffeine is a must. Special Blend Coffee Company has got you covered. If you’re looking to go off the beaten path, try Victoria’s Secret Blend for a touch of raspberry or Special Blend for a hit of Irish cream beans.

If you’re more the traditional type, take a look at the Range Rider which sticks to the tried and true tradition of dark full-bodied mix of coffee beans. Which ever roast you pick, it’s caffeine and it’s damn good.

The Cheese

Fredericton Market

Cheese is great on everything and you know it. Naming and knowing which cheese is which on a Saturday morning, however – ricotta, raschera, or ragusano – don’t even try. Thank god for The Cheese Market, where the friendly staff will help you navigate the over 150 different kinds of cheese from all over the world.

While you’re at it, you can upgrade your tastes from the KD box cheddar you’re used to thanks to the samples these guys always have out. You’ve just developed a new addiction and you don’t even know it yet.

The Drinks

Fredericton Market

Photo by Lauren Colter

So you’ve finished your coffee and you’re thirsty again. This problem has only one acceptable solution and that’s Dalton’s Orange Juice & Smoothies. OJ is a staple at breakfast tables around North America and the only thing better than Tropicana concentrate is fresh squeezed OJ.

If you’re not into orange juice, we can (barely) let it slide, but you’re not leaving this stall empty handed because there’s also fresh made smoothies too. Just give into your urges and get one.

The Breakfast

Fredericton Market

Photo by Lauren Colter

You’ve now been walking around taking in the sites and smells of The Market for more time than you’re willing to admit. To add onto the fact that you’ve become a little overwhelmed, you’re now also starving. Situated in the middle of The Market is the ideal spot for good times in the Maritimes and prime people watching, Chef Rick’s.

No matter which item you choose, be it the Market Breakfast or the Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict, you won’t ever be disappointed with what Chef Rick is cooking. Using food from local vendors, some even located in the same building, Chef Rick’s is the best kept secret within The Market.

The Samosas

Fredericton Market

I can’t stress how fantastic these things are. Do not, I repeat do not under any circumstances leave without trying them. The samosa is a meat or vegetable filling with spices, covered by a crispy golden brown pastry shell. Yummy Samosa, located just outside the main hall of the market, does samosas better than anyone else.

The recipe has been perfectly crafted by owner Iqbal Fagir over the past thirty five years and believe us, she has it down perfectly. Serving a variety of flavors including lamb, vegetable, lentil and chicken in both mild and hot spiced selections, you haven’t truly experienced The Market until you’ve visited Yummy Samosa.

The Food Alley

Fredericton Market

Photo by Lauren Colter

While you’re bound to see this on your way in or out of The Market. Prepare to be bombarded with food at this place. You’re probably going to want to go with your stretchy pants on to make room for all you’re going to consume. Food Alley is a smorgasbord of food vendors lining both sides of the road on the way into Market.

You have the choice of everything from falafel to Greek food to deep-fried donuts. Just take a look, let your wallet free and follow your heart (stomach).

Open every Saturday from 6 am until 1 pm, the Market should be priority number one if ever you find yourself in Fredericton for the weekend. I will be there, face full, wallet empty wearing sweatpants, a ball cap and sunglasses to match. No need to say hi, just nod and continue on. We all know why you’re here.