Recently, I took my friend to dinner for her birthday at Local Three, a restaurant my cousins from Atlanta said I had to try before graduating. It has been on my list for years and I am so happy to be able to cross it off my list. Walking into this wood panelled, rowdy room, I was shocked. It was a Tuesday night and the place was packed. Seemingly far off the map, at least from my area and Emory campus, this restaurant is no secret.

Local Three, run by Chef Chris Hall, puts a real emphasis on seasonal eats and local ingredients. The restaurant cares about the food they are serving and the people they are serving to. The service was a clear result of this philosophy and made our dining experience all the better. It has been said the food takes on a foie gras in flip flops” kind of feel, and I could not agree more. This kind of dining is what I appreciate most.

Since we were celebrating, we did not want to limit our options. We started with grilled pita and eggplant hummus. The bread was crispy and golden enough to eat alone, but that didn’t stop us from finishing the rest of the hummus with our forks. The seared bay scallops that we ordered on a whim were honestly the best I have had in a very long time, which may be because of the sweet carrots and corn reduction sauce they were smothered in. Next up we got the flat top truffle mac and cheese. Let me repeat myself: truffle mac and cheese. We all know there is no combo more heavenly than this.  This is a side dish that takes on the flavor and grandiose nature of a main. Murphy’s serves a truffle mac and cheese that rivals this one, but I would take a poll to see which is better. Truffle-mac-and-cheese-off anyone?

The main courses were underwhelming in comparison to the starters, but there is still something to be said about a restaurant with homemade pasta. The homemade pasta and meatballs were served with a chili tomato sauce and overshadowed the seasonal vegetable stuffed trout we ordered. The trout was served with coconut basmati rice that I would have loved to eat alongside those seared bay scallops (note to the chef). All in all, Local Three is a terrific choice for dinner with an abundance of fresh, organic and local options. I am told their brunch buffet is on par with their dinner, so I will be headed there next for the buffet and booze. And I’m looking for any other takers.

Expensive

Location: 3290 Northside Parkway, Atlanta, Georgia 30327

Hours: Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:30am-2pm, Dinner: Mon-Thurs 5:30pm-10pm Fri-Sat 5:30pm-11pm Sun 5:30pm-9pm, Sunday Brunch: 10:30am-2pm