In a small northern tip of Fishtown, Philadelphia, on a street named Frankford Avenue, sits the World Headquarters of Little Baby’s Ice Cream. Upon entering the establishment, your childhood creativity is brought back to life with vibrant colors, eccentric light fixtures, wacky prints, and the best part: the googly eyes. The zigs, zags, and emoting plants bring Pee-Wee Herman’s Playhouse vibes to the atmosphere, allowing customers to let loose and be silly.

little baby's ice cream

Photo by Emily Genzer

The fun doesn’t stop at the decor, however. Hundreds of unique Philadelphia-Style dairy (egg-free) and Non-Dairy Vegan (coconut milk) flavors are hand-made fresh in the back. Small batch is the only way to do it, people.

little baby's ice cream

Photo by Emily Genzer

Don’t expect to walk in and see simple staples like Vanilla, Chocolate or Cookie Dough on the menu, however. Co-owners Martin Brown and Pete Angevine add their own spin on traditional flavors and constantly create new ones.  

little baby's ice cream

Photo by Emily Genzer

While talking with Angevine, he shared the inspiration behind their beginning.

“We started Little Baby’s on a single tricycle in the spring of 2011. Coming from backgrounds in the music and art communities of Philadelphia, we recognized ice cream as a unique platform for creativity and imagination, as well as something that brings people together and makes people happy.”

little baby's ice cream

Photo by Emily Genzer

Wacky flavors such as Pizza, Buttered Popcorn, and Cucumber Dill are among the year-round flavors. Seasonal flavors include Irish Potato for St. Patty’s, Pumpkin Curry for the fall months, and Strawberry Pink Peppercorn for those hot summer days.

“Because it’s something that we can all relate to, it also provides an opportunity to subvert people’s expectations and encourage them to have a new experience,” said Angevine.

little baby's ice cream

Photo by Emily Genzer

Despite what you may think, their unique take on ice cream allows for tastebuds to be confused and pleasured all in one bite, making it my all-time favorite ice cream.

little baby's ice cream

Photo by Emily Genzer

The hard work and effort put into the craft and creation of the flavors is evident. There is a passion for ice cream present with the owners and staff that translates to the experience.

little baby's ice cream

Photo by Emily Genzer

“The company has incredible personal value and importance to us because it is based on honest personal expression, and it is the result of an untrackable amount of blood, sweat and tears over the years,” Angevine explained. “It has made me recognize small business as a powerful means to help make the world that I want to live in; to make a positive contribution to my neighborhood and my city; to support other causes and businesses that I care about and think are ‘doing the right thing’ and to provide an example for others.”

little baby's ice cream

Photo by Emily Genzer

With two locations in Philadelphia, along with tricycles parked at various events throughout the city, it’s super convenient to stimulate your senses and keep an open mind with their flavors.

little baby's ice cream

Photo by Emily Genzer

Additionally Little Baby’s is starting to expand into the Mid-Atlantic region by selling pints in several grocery stores and beginning operations in other cities like Baltimore and Washington, DC.  So, basically, you don’t have a choice whether or not to check them out.

little baby's ice cream

Photo by Emily Genzer

For more orgasmic LBIC information, follow them on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.

And remember: “Ice Cream is for Everyone.”