I've loved Levain Bakery's cookies for a long time. Not to boast, but I am an OG fan. When I recently discovered that they opened a newer, bigger location this summer, I had to see it for myself. And let's just say it did not disappoint.

What is Levain?

Levain Bakery was founded in 1994 in New York City by two Australian friends and marathon runners. Their passion for baking and competitive sports fueled their mission to create the world's greatest chocolate chip cookie. Lemme tell you, they did just that.

Within just a few years, Levain became famous for their freshly baked, large and gooey assortment of baked goods, ranging from dark chocolate peanut butter chip cookies to fresh banana chocolate chip bread. People crowded in for a taste of some of the biggest, densest, richest cookies in all of New York.

Levain's Original Location:

Levain's original location on 74th street between Columbus and Amsterdam continues to be a hot spot for locals, tourists, and really anyone who loves good cookies. Yet, the location is so small and cramped that there is always a line stretched out along the block, no matter what time of day. The line is so insane, that even though Levain is slightly below street level, you can always tell exactly where it is by the crowd.

Levain's New Location

Ali Romadanov

Levain's new location, just three blocks from the original one, opened in July of 2017. The new location promised a bigger space, more seating options, and, most importantly, faster lines. The new location's menu is set to be the same as that of the original.

My Experience:

Ali Romadanov

I visited Levain's new location recently to see if it truly lived up to the original cookie experience. When I walked in, I was surprised that there was no line, even on a Saturday afternoon. In less than five minutes I was able to snag a warm dark chocolate chip cookie and find a spot to eat, or rather, inhale, it. There were a lot of people inside, but it didn't seem cramped because of the additional seating.

Whether you have tried Levain's cookies or are desperate to go, I would definitely recommend the new location as opposed to the 74th Street Flagship. While the first location may still hold many nostalgic memories, the new location will host a much better bakery experience. Not only is the new location much less packed and has adequate seating room, the lack of winding lines ensures you get your cookie faster.