Have you ever seen pictures on Instagram of cookies as big as your hand, and wondered where these eye catching sweets are from? Well, these baked goods are from Levain Bakery, founded in New York City in 1995. Known for their monstrous cookies, Levain never fails to provide your taste buds with a flavor experience of a lifetime. 

I traveled to Levain's Upper East Side location to give you the lowdown on all of the cookie options they offer, and give you the ultimate recommendation on which flavor to go for. After all, how can you decide between so many amazing options?? 

Lila Redler

Let me present to you the six flavors I was able to get my hands on during my adventure to Levain: chocolate chip walnut, two chip chocolate chip, dark chocolate chocolate chip, dark chocolate peanut butter chip, Gluten-Free chocolate chip, and café con leche (limited edition). 

Let's start by comparing their classic chocolate chip walnut, two chip chocolate chip, and Gluten Free chocolate chip.

Lila Redler

Ooey, gooey, and especially delicious when warm, chocolate chip walnut is one of Levain's staple flavors. The walnuts in the cookie might seem strange at first, however, they added a lot of texture and a slightly nutty aftertaste! However, if you don't enjoy nuts then two chip chocolate chip, a fairly new addition to the menu, is for you!

If you are gluten free, do not fret! Levain offers a surprisingly delicious version of their Two Chip Chocolate Chip cookie. I am not gluten free; however, I was shocked at how great this option is. You would never know it was gluten free. The only difference is that it's a little drier than the other options, but the flavor is almost identical. 

Let me remind you, these cookies are monstrous! Not only are they almost the size of your hand, but they are the tallest cookies you will ever see. The inside is soft and chewy with the outside being crunchy and delicious.

Let's move on to the chocolate flavors.

Lila Redler

The chocolate-forward flavors they offer are their classic dark chocolate chocolate chip (pictured above), dark chocolate peanut butter chip, and the limited edition café con leche.

If you are a chocolate lover, the classic dark chocolate chocolate chip cookie is the flavor for you. The cookie is dense (in the best way possible), rich and chewy. This cookie is chocolate on chocolate on chocolate, so if you are looking for some delectable chocolatey goodness to quench your sweet tooth, this is a great option. 

The next chocolate option is Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip. I had never tried this flavor, but let me tell you, I was shocked. I am a huge peanut butter lover, and if you are too, this cookie is a must try! The peanut butter isn't too overwhelming or artificial tasting at all. The chocolate and peanut butter blend together so seamlessly, leaving your mouth watering for more. 

Lastly, Café Con Leche is the limited time flavor this location was offering. 

Lila Redler

In case you aren't familiar with Café Con Leche, let me tell you what's in this gorgeous treat. This riff on the Levain's classic dark chocolate chocolate chip cookie is filled with cashews, Valrhona Café espresso infused chocolate and caramelized toasted white chocolate, and topped with a sprinkle of cinnamon and flaky sea salt. 

Coffee and chocolate are a classic pairing, so if you enjoy a mocha, this might be your dream cookie! This treat is very dense and rich, so just a few bites is all you can really eat at a time. If you aren't a big chocolate fan, this cookie may be a little bit overwhelming for you. However, the combination of the melty chocolate and crunch from the cashews gives this cookie an amazing texture.

Lila Redler

And that's it folks!

The ultimate rundown of the cookie options at the world famous Levain Bakery! All amazing options, there is no doubt a perfect cookie option at Levain for you.

In case you aren't in a cookie mood, Levain also sells delicious bread and some amazing pastries and desserts. If you are in NYC, I highly recommend stopping by at one of their seven locations (they also have a location in Washington, DC)!

Happy Eating!