Walk into the Impromptu Cafe, and you’ll be shocked that you can pay for a meal in such a classy place with just your KU ID.

KU dining

Photo by Hannah Bettis

This hidden gem of KU’s dining system lies on the third floor of the Union, nestled in a place that if you just walked on past, you would miss it. However, this isn’t your average cafeteria food. The Impromptu Cafe has won several awards for their quality of food and service, and while the cloth napkins might seem fancy, they still offer affordable prices for students (you can pay using your Beak ‘Em Bucks or Cuisine Cash if you wish).

You can see the full menu here, but be sure to take advantage of their specials as well. I had the half sandwich (the Campanile Club on wheat bread) with the house salad–a varied assortment of fresh vegetables. While I usually tend to be picky with my tastes, the chipotle mayonnaise had just the right amount of tang to complement the sandwich. If I could sum it up in one word, I think I’d choose fresh–mainly, I was extremely impressed by the quality of the vegetables, meat, cheese, every aspect of the meal.

KU dining

Photo by Hannah Bettis

My cousin had the blackened chicken sandwich, and she described it as having a bit of a kick, but not too much that you had to immediately follow with a whole glass of water. While I can’t personally speak for the taste of that sandwich, it looked just as mouth-watering.

KU dining

Photo by Hannah Bettis

Try out one of their daily specials if you’re feeling adventurous. Do you have allergies or a sensitivity to certain foods? No problem. The Impromptu Cafe prides themselves on being able to accommodate even the pickiest of guests, so make the trip down to the Union. They’re open 11am-2pm, Monday through Friday.