Chicken and waffles is a delicate but casual dish and it’s something Canadians don’t associate with their own country. Chicken and waffles have been popularized by the Waffle House, most of their chains being in the southern United States. There is Canadian resistance when American chains are a part of Canadian life.

waffles

Photo courtesy of @the_kingeddy on Instagram

But along comes The King Eddy, a restaurant that from the outside looks like another American icon: Shake Shack. This restaurant is a very different place, because in addition to burgers it has a mainstay of very delectable comfort foods including poutine, hot dogs, and milkshakes.

#Spoontip: Try the spiked milkshakes.

waffles

Photo courtesy of @szetoszeto on Instagram

Besides the chicken and waffles, another great dish is the loaded fries. This is not poutine, but rather a large fries plate that has different toppings every day including fried green onions, cherry tomatoes, chili powder, Gouda cheese and other creative additions.

This is the one of the many reasons that The King Eddy is one of those unique places that changes the way you think of traditional comfort foods and it’s one of the better joints that’s open 24/7.

waffles

Now back to the star of this article: the northern-style fried chicken & waffles. This seemed like the perfect option for lunch when I didn’t have breakfast. The preparation and the presentation of the dish were nothing out of the ordinary. The chicken & waffles came with maple whiskey gravy, maple syrup and a side of dry, peppered coleslaw.

The fried chicken had a crunch and a tang that is uncommon with any of KFC/Popeye’s product. It was sweet and tangy while complementing the taste of traditional fried chicken. The white meat within the fried chicken had the quality and tenderness that you would find in a well-cooked rotisserie chicken and something you can’t find at fast-food joints like KFC.

waffles

Photo courtesy of yelp.ca

The gravy itself is complemented by the tasty skin of the fried chicken and it was enjoyable even with the waffles. The maple whiskey gravy was a creative take on gravy which made the lunch more enjoyable and uniquely Canadian.

Overall, I highly recommend The King Eddy, it’s one of the many hidden treasures throughout Ottawa. This new restaurant is affordable, innovative, tasteful and delicious amongst all qualities.