Winter in Boston means lots of layers, snow and, according to Spoon NU's photo director, Gabby, smoothie bowls. While her love of smoothie bowls in the winter seems ironic given the ice-cold temperatures, it just goes to show that smoothie bowls can be eaten and loved all year round. With Jugos Supremo right down the road from Northeastern's campus, it's not difficult to enjoy the taste of summer, even in the chilling temperatures.

In the past, our team of writers, photographers, and marketers have collaborated to create the Beanpot and El Husky Bowls. For the third year in a row, Spoon Northeastern have teamed up with Jugos Supremo to create the perfect acai bowl.

The Taste Test

Leila Tuma

Our team arrived at Jugos Supremo where Kelsey, one of the Jugos team members, had preformulated two amazing bowls for us to try. The bowls were all aesthetically pleasing and it ultimately came down to a preference of taste.

Bowl 1

Marisa Palace

The first bowl featured an exceptionally bright base and was topped with fresh strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, freshly sliced bananas, and crunchy granola to add some texture and heartiness. 

The base consisted of pitaya, guava, banana, cashews, maca, oats, and almond milk. The almond milk and oats were the perfect combination to make this bowl very creamy and sturdy. The texture was spot on, but the guava flavor was a bit overwhelming for our palate. 

Bowl 2

Marisa Palace

Our second bowl of the day featured a deep purple base. It was topped with bananas, chia seeds, red raspberries, and a delightfully heavy amount of almond butter. The flavors in the base were a bit more distinguishable--açaí, strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, banana, and coconut water.  

The Verdict

Leila Tuma

The winner was obvious: bowl number 2 took the cake. While it did not feature the bright, eye-catching pink base that the first one did, the flavor stood out in the second bowl more than the first. Plus, how could one go wrong with almond butter?

Our next step was to name the bowl. As an ode to everyone Northeastern student's favorite, go-to website, we named it the myNEU bowl.

If you are looking to get your hands on one of our myNEU bowls, you can head over to Jugos Supremos in the South End from now until December 13th. Jugos is offering a 15% discount to those who order the bowl and show their Husky ID.

If the myNEU bowl isn't calling your name, fear not! You can order anything through the app and receive a 10% discount by using the promo code "SPOON".

Other dishes that caught our eye (and our palates): Lo Maximo, a fully loaded Belgian waffle and the Hermosa Beach, Japanese sweet potato tostadas with avocado, radish, tomatoes, cilantro, pea shoots, and aleppo. 

Whether you try our limited time bowl or one of Jugos' many bowls, platos, and tostadas, you can't go wrong.