As northeasterners, we tend to spend summers at the Jersey Shore. We don't stay there just for the picturesque long beaches filled with sunscreen or tanning oil (depending what type of person you are).

We stay there for the three meals a day, but if you're like me then your meal count is more like 6. I'm here to tell you about food you've either been devouring or missing out on on the '7 Mile Island.'

Breakfast

Kohler’s

An island favorite, this pastry shop has the famous cream donut. I recommend going around 7 am on a weekend to get donuts for the whole family—this place gets crowded fast.

Fishin’ Pier Grille

Paige Saunders

This breakfast joint has two locations on the island, and if you eat here, you’ll know why. The avocado toast is not only my favorite thing on the menu, but it is also trendy, so it’s perfect for Insta. You can never go wrong with an eggs benedict, but get the hollandaise sauce on the side if you're trying to eat on the healthier side of the spectrum. 

Avalon Coffee and Deli

Like ‘Lil Yachty says, an acquired taste for salmon on a bagel, however I prefer my capers on the bagel, not on a square plate.

My morning-must-have from AV Coffee is always a sesame bagel, toasted, with cream cheese, lox, and capers.

Lunch

Café Noir

A hidden gem, this coffee shop is sought-after in the early hours of the day, but the romaine, roasted red pepper, prosciutto, and mozzarella salad is an essential for a pre-beach meal, so you still feel good in your bikini.

Juice Pod

smoothie, milk, lemonade
Paige Saunders

If you’re like me and you like to ruin your workout with food afterwards, Juice Pod is conveniently located next to Surfside Fitness. The Summer Mango salad is a good post-workout lunch option, or, if you’re looking for something a bit lighter, the Runners Boost and Mango Madness smoothies are great choices. 

Shore Juice

Paige Saunders

Another health-nut location, Shore Juice specializes in Açai Bowls. These are a great pre-beach snack for me, but, for most others, they’re considered a meal. 

Dinner

The Reeds Water Star Grille

salad, spinach
Paige Saunders

Not only is the atmosphere relaxing yet exciting, the crab guacamole and the east coast oysters will be gone in three minutes, tops. If you’re looking to splurge, the seafood tower is totally worth it. 

Chill Rooftop Bar & Grill

This casual and accepting-of-all-ages rooftop restaurant has a hidden gem: Mexican Street Grilled Corn. This lettuce bed topped with corn—sprinkled with spices and tossed in a heavenly mix of half-and-half and cheddar cheese—is the perfect appetizer, but is also filling enough for a meal for one. Don’t forget to get the S’mores Dip for dessert to finish off the experience.

Quahogs

This seafood shack made an appearance on Guy Fieri’s Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Guy devoured the BBQ Pacu Pacu Fish Ribs, but I usually stick to the mussels and fish tacos. You cannot go wrong with anything on this menu, everything is made perfectly.

Windrift

pizza, tomato, sauce, mozzarella
Paige Saunders

This beach-front classic has Mexican Monday with two dollar tacos, but the only night that tops that is Pizzas and Pints, known by me as fabulously made $6 pizzas. And if the food isn’t enough to make you happy, the view creates some good vibes. 

Icona Golden Inn

This newly-renovated resort is located right on the beach, and has many options for dining. However, my personal favorite is the Sandbar. This casual setting, where people come straight off the beach in bathing suits, cover-ups, and flip flops, has a great atmosphere.

The menu features mostly appetizers and bar food. The Sandbar Fries are topped with Old Bay and peppers with a side of queso and ranch.

Dessert

Springers

ice, milk, cream
Paige Saunders

I clearly saved the best for last. Springers Homemade Ice Cream has become an island attraction. 

On Friday and Saturday nights, there will be an hour long line for a few scoops of ice cream, that’s how good Springers is. The Blue One is my favorite flavor, and I actually cannot describe it because I have no idea what the flavor is. It’s just good. 

Unfortunately, I can't share the summer-locals’ secret to getting Springers in less than five minutes on a Friday night. That’s for you to find out. 

While I sit in the library and write mid-term papers and study for exams, I reminisce about all the great restaurants on an island seven miles long.

Stone Harbor and Avalon are destinations to put on a bucket list, follow this food guide and I can assure you, you will not be disappointed.