Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams, with scoop shops all over the U.S. (including three already in Chicago) and pints shipped cross-country, has amassed somewhat of a cult following since its humble beginnings in Columbus, Ohio 15 years ago.

Jeni's was doing artisanal ice cream before it was cool, and the brand's unique flavors made with natural ingredients have attracted hordes of hungry fans.

Windy City ice cream fanatics are in for a treat – Jeni's recently opened its fourth Chicago location in trendy Lincoln Park, just off the Brown Line Armitage stop, in December of last year. 2016 was a big year for Jeni's, and the new scoop shop in Chicago is the perfect example of the brand's constant innovation. 

How is it different from other locations?

This Jeni's isn't your average scoop shop. The creative ice cream company partnered with online delivery market Foxtrot to open their newest location, and they introduced a new product – sweet, glazed street waffles.

coffee, pizza, beer
Aine Dougherty

Both companies share the same space, and customers can walk freely in between the two shops. Foxtrot sells everything from alcohol to frozen meals, but you won't find many generic products on its shelves. The market sells trendy brands like La Croix and Justin's Nut Butters, and even products from local restaurants like Bang Bang Pie (and Jeni's, of course).

Aine Dougherty

Waffle Ice Cream Sundae

Naturally, when you think "waffles," you automatically think Sundae Waffle topped with your choice of ice cream, Salty Caramel sauce, toasted pecans, raw honey whipped cream and a cherry, right?

No?

Well, luckily for us, that's exactly what Jeni thought of, and now visitors at the Armitage Jeni's get to enjoy the over-the-top creation for just $10.  

With flavors like the famous Salty Caramel, the fruity Wildberry Lavender and the exotic Bangkok Peanut, choosing a flavor for your waffle sundae is a big decision. I chose Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso, which paired perfectly with the rich caramel sauce, creamy whipped cream, and chewy, vanilla-glazed waffle.

#SpoonTip: Beware. The waffles are huge. You might want to share with a friend.

banana, cream, syrup, waffle
Aine Dougherty

With all the cool restaurants and shops in Lincoln Park, the new Jeni's is perfect place to go before or after an adventure. Or, if you need an incentive to grocery shopping, treat yourself to a scoop or two after picking up some groceries at Foxtrot.

But before you go and check out the coolest ice cream and grocery stop in Lincoln Park, make sure you figure out which Jeni's ice cream flavor you are.