Here’s a dilemma: you want pasta, but you’re not up for cheap, greasy spaghetti, nor do you have the budget to dine at a fancy Italian restaurant. Unless you’re a master chef at creating fettuccine alfredo in the kitchen, it can be tricky to obtain authentic flavor without breaking the bank. Luckily, Italian Homemade Company in the Elmwood neighborhood of Berkeley, CA has fresh pasta with your name on it, alongside ingredients that have traveled straight from Italy just to land in your belly.

Dipa Halder

Italian Homemade Company doesn’t shortcut anything; instead, the business brings together the dough-making process and an appetizing product all under one roof. It's no wonder that the pasta is so fresh since the chefs hand-prepare it a couple feet away from your table. But you don't need to wait until you get to your table to smell the juicy tomatoes and hear the gentle folding and slicing of the dough. Can’t decide what to get? Allow us to guide you through the menu.

Pasta

Dipa Halder

The pasta ranges in size, and, like any strong relationship, it lasts through thick and thin. You’ll definitely want to make friends with the fun, bountiful fettuccine, or get acquainted with the elegantly folded tagliatelle. If you like a partner that can hold its own weight, the pappardelle’s even thicker cut will support a heavier amount of sauce.

The gnocchi works well with any sauce but also has its own fun, chewy character that gives you a bit of joy with every bite-sized piece. What’s on the inside matters too, and nothing demonstrates that better than the ricotta-stuffed tortellini and ravioli dishes that have beef and spinach options.

Sauce

Dipa Halder

Like any dynamic duo, pasta isn’t complete without a sauce. Whether it's the sweet flavor of marinara, the decadence of white Béchamel creme sauce, or the tangy profile of fresh basil pesto, there’s no wrong answer to how you mix and match your dish. If you want to go the untraditional route, try the Bolognese or butter and sage sauce.

Sandwiches

Italian Homemade is special because it expands past the realm of pasta, and does so deliciously. Grab an order of homemade flatbread sandwiches, made from yeast-free flatbread and stuffed with your choice of cheese, vegetables, or meat. The piadina resembles a thin fold-over sandwich, whereas the cassone mimics the form of a calzone with its fillings sealed inside. Both are served warm and presented as perfect vehicles for fitting multiple harmonious flavors into your mouth.

Salad

Dipa Halder

For a lighter meal, Italian Homemade Company has also got you covered. The salads are vibrant in color and flavor from the pop of locally-sourced tomatoes and light notes of freshly pressed olive oil. These dishes are especially impressive because they deliver wholesome ingredients that stand on their own, while at the same time creating a marriage of flavors tied together with the zest from a house-made vinaigrette.

Dessert

Dipa Halder

Everyone deserves a happy ending, and that can only mean one thing: dessert. No matter how stuffed you are from savoring every last bite of pasta, you'll want to make space for the organic gelato that comes in flavors that include pistachio, chocolate biscotti, and guava. Don’t be surprised if you also get tempted by the crostata, panna cotta, or tiramisu; you may just have to order one after seeing the treats come fresh out of the oven.

Market

Dipa Halder

There's no reason to end your trip to Italy with the restaurant's market selection of imported goods. The bottles of olive oil and jars of marinara make for wonderful decor, but that doesn't stop your urge to clear out the whole shelf of cookies from the wonderful selection of mouth-watering desserts. If you like the convenience of cooking at home, bring the quality experience to your pantry with a pack of dried pasta, your favorite sauce, and a wedge of cheese from the display case.

Dipa Halder

Although the market provides a wide selection of authentic products, the experience is equally important. This restaurant hosts a cozy atmosphere and relaxed vibe, yet simultaneously has the charm of a quaint Italian café. With freshness and quality you can taste, this family-friendly restaurant is a warm and comforting haven for both the well-traveled local and adventurous Berkeley student.