The out-of-the-box, pastry shop known as Voodoo Doughnut has been on a bit of a craze lately. Their newest addition, just built at the Universal Orlando Resort in Florida, has certainly added to the hype.   

The original Voodoo Doughnut started with a small shop in Portland, Oregon that became famous for their unconventional treats. They take a step up from your typical doughnut, with flavors such as maple bacon, Mexican hot chocolate, bubble gum, and even grape. Voodoo has rapidly spread across the county, opening up chains in Eugene, Oregon; Denver, Colorado; Austin, Texas; and at the other Universal Resort in Hollywood, California

Just this Spring, Voodoo Doughnut opened up their seventh brick-and-mortar store at Universal Orlando's CityWalk. It had been getting quite the buzz among Floridians as we were ecstatic one was finally coming to the Sunshine State. Luckily, I made a trip to Universal Orlando at the right time- just a couple of weeks after Voodoo's opening. So, I decided to pop in and give this crazy doughnut shop a try. 

The Ambiance

The Voodoo Doughnut at Universal Orlando's CityWalk fits perfectly with the fun and vibrant atmosphere of the area. You really can't miss the outside of the shop- it's electric pink (resembling their famous pink boxes) and has a huge neon light with the store's name on it. Featured right out front is a huge throne of their specialty doughnuts, and it's great spot to snag some #instaworthy pics. 

Walking in, the interior is just as fun as the outside. Doughnut-themed art adorns the walls, and the back features a spot you can watch confectioners decorate each treat by hand. In the center of the store is a rotating display case that shows each of the doughnuts to guests waiting in line. 

The Doughnuts 

As previously mentioned, Voodoo has some pretty unorthodox doughnuts. However, they are some of the best I have ever tasted. Specifically for the raised yeast doughnuts, they are flaky, rich, and melt in your mouth. As the location in Universal Orlando is fairly new, don't be surprised if you have to wait a while for one of these delectable treats. But trust me, they are so worth it

Olivia Stultz

The doughnut I first tried was the Voodoo Doll. It's actually one of the shop's signature varieties, as each of the dolls has different characteristics. The Voodoo Doll is a raised yeast doughnut filled with raspberry jelly, topped with chocolate frosting, and poked with a pretzel "stake." I personally liked this one as I was a fan of the raspberry and chocolate combo. (#SpoonTip: This one can be made vegan as well!)

Olivia Stultz

The second one I tried was the Oh Captain, My Captain. This is another raised yeast doughnut; it's topped with vanilla frosting and lots of Captain Crunch pieces. This one was really good as well, especially with the contrast of the crunchy cereal and the soft, warm doughnut. 

Olivia Stultz

On a later visit, I got to try the Vegan PB&J. It is a vegan cake doughnut filled with raspberry jelly and generously topped with peanut butter and crushed peanuts. I was actually really surprised by this one, especially for being vegan. The Vegan PB&J was wonderfully soft and had a great flavor combo of sweet to salty. 

Wrap Up

Want to try some of these amazing doughnuts for yourself? If you happen to be in the area, Voodoo Doughnut at Universal Orlando is open Sunday through Thursday from 7:00 am to 12:00 am, and Friday to Saturday from 7:00 am to 1:00 am. You may have to pay for parking to get there, but it isn't too far from the Universal Studios park side. 

So, the next time you're at the Universal Orlando Resort, I would 10/10 recommend stopping by Voodoo Doughnut. Whether it's for breakfast, a snack, or dessert, it's an experience not worth passing up.