Cats are really man's best friend. Not only do they not need to be taken out, but they are calm and their purring will keep you pet them all day. What better combination goes with relaxing with a cat? Drinks all around. Meet the first cat cafe to hit Grand Rapids Michigan.

Bartender turned cat lady?

tea, beer, coffee
Laura Quinting

Started by a previous Grand Valley State student, Kati Dodge wanted more than the typical job. Before creating the cat cafe, she was previously a bartender for The B.O.B. But with the help of her small business owning husband, the two could start their endeavors for a cat cafe. 

Scrolling through BuzzFeed one day, Kati had read an article about cat cafes emerging in larger cities such as New York and California. The first cat cafes emerged in Taiwan in the 1990's. The first cat cafe in the US opened in Oakland California.

The cat isn't annoyed at you, it always looks like that.

tea, beer, coffee
Laura Quinting

Kati knew that raising the funds would take a lot of time and effort, and especially money. But thanks to the budding interest of the Grand Rapids area, Kati raised $27,000 on her 30 Kickstarter goal. Within one week of opening the Facebook page for the cafe that is rightfully titled Happy Cat Cafe, the page garnered over 3000 likes. 

Sipping on tea haters.

ale, milk, tea, coffee, beer
Laura Quinting

Kati called the cafe "Happy Cat Cafe" to make the title simplistic while also properly conveying the feeling one gets while relaxing with a friend over coffee, as well as playing with cats. Happy Cat Cafe is an Americanized, bright and fun place that is half cafe and half cat adoptions (there are two separate rooms). All the cats are from Carol's Ferals and volunteers care for her Carol's cats.

All you need is love & a cat.

pizza, cake, beer
Laura Quinting

If sipping hot cider or tea sounds like a good time, bring your friends and family to the newest hot spot in town. Happy Cat Cafe is sure to warm your tummy and your heart. Don't wait, it's time to meet your new best friend (cats never leave).