What Exactly is a Unicorn Frappuccino? 

If you have been on any form of social media in the past week, you have probably seen Starbucks' newest product: The Unicorn Frappuccino. According to Starbucks' website, the Unicorn Frappuccino is a creme base flavored with mango syrup, white mocha blue drizzle, and pink powder. Shockingly enough, all the colors in this new drink are also colored naturally, using ingredients like spirulina and vegetable juices. 

The Experience 

After school, I placed a Starbucks mobile order, anticipating that my local Starbucks would be extra busy from all the social media hype surrounding their new drink. As suspected, I was correct. When I entered Starbucks, it was the longest line I had seen in weeks (and mind you, I go to Starbucks almost every single day). 

The line was almost to the door and all over the store were people snapping photos of their colorful drinks. One girl was even hovering over my drink at the Mobile Order pickup. Of course, I couldn't resist and headed outside to snap a few pictures of my own drink because Frappuccino is incredibly aesthetically pleasing, regardless of taste. 

The Taste

birthday cake, chocolate, cake
Lindsay Paulen

Despite this drink being picture perfect, its taste is okay, at best. Mine definitely didn't look like the pictures, but I think that's because I substituted whole milk for almond milk, which made it significantly less creamy and I think affected the "color changing." With that being said, my drink didn't really change colors. Maybe it was due to the lack of blue syrup in my drink or the different milk, but even after mixing, my drink stayed the same purple-ish hue. 

The problem with this drink is its intense sweetness. That's saying a lot coming from me, considering I have the biggest sweet tooth ever. The texture of my drink was also more slushy-like than Frappuccino-like, making for a weird tasting, and looking, drink after a few sips. The sour dust was also extremely sour, almost in an unpleasant way, and I puckered my lips a ton while sipping on it.

The Verdict

No, this is not worth the $5 I paid, but... at least I got an Instagram picture out of it, I guess? Although this drink is beautiful looking, its taste is average.

But where does this stop? Is this trend of good looking yet bad tasting creations ruining the food industry, all for an Instagram picture? Maybe, but that's not stopping anyone. Just look at the 53,000 posts using the hashtag #unicornfrappuccino on Instagram in less than 24 hours of it being available. 

Regardless of what your opinion of the Unicorn Frappuccino is, if you want to try it, you only have until Sunday, April 23 to do so.