On a "chilly" Saturday night, a fellow Spooner and I biked from campus to The Hyppo for some popsicle delights. Little did we know, the popsicle game has changed since we were younger. With a variety of 47 flavors that range from fruity to savory to spicy, it took us a while to decide on our first pop. But since the pops are only $3.75 each ($4.75 for chocolate dip) we decided to treat ourselves to two each.

Popsicle Roulette

chocolate, peanut butter, peanut, ice, butter
Shelby Brown

At first we played it safe with a Jackfruit popsicle (pictured above). Each pop is all natural with no added preservatives or colors. So each fruity pop is true to the name. I unwrapped a creamy Dark Roast Espresso. Oh.My.God. The popsicle version of a chocolate covered espresso bean - I highly recommend. The entire experience felt like gourmet popsicle roulette - thrilling and terrifying all at the same time. If you don't find one that you love, Hyppo's flavors change with the seasons.

Different Strokes for Different Folks

If you are a dare devil and want to challenge your taste buds look for the flavors marked "spicy" in the ice chest. Shelby ordered the Datil Pepper Cheesecake pop and splurged for a chocolate dip. The chocolate shell took away some of the bite from the spice but the heat was unavoidable. I, on the other hand, wasn't so lucky. My Datil Pepper Plum popsicle left me in tears. The Hyppo employee warned me that it was relentless... but I just couldn't help myself. With every bite the heat in the back of my throat kept growing. Aren't popsicles supposed to be refreshing?! Needless to say, I will be sticking to the fruity and savory flavors. If you are itching for a trip down memory lane and want to grab a healthy treat or just want to challenge your taste buds - The Hyppo has your popsicle on ice.

Location: 627 Central Ave. St. Petersburg, FL 33701

Hours: SUN - THU 11am - 9pm, FRI 11am-11pm, SAT 11am -11pmFor more info, check out The Hyppo's website.