I recently went on a mini whirlwind vacation to San Francisco to visit some family for a cousin's graduation party. And of course, being the ~foodie~ that I claim to be, I had to try as much of the cool food that San Fran is known for as I could humanly fit in. So the next time that you just happen to be in California and decide to pop into San Francisco, here's a little bit of a guide to help you get the most out of your trip (and your meals)! Get ready to eat your way through San Francisco in four days or less. 

First things first: lunch. Ghirardelli Square is a San Francisco classic, and for a chocolate fanatic like myself, I couldn't resist. Besides, ice cream for lunch is a perfectly acceptable meal, especially when you actually get beautiful, sunny weather in foggy San Fran. I went for the classic hot fudge sundae, because you can't go wrong with that, and it did not disappoint. If you're looking for something a little more adventurous, they have a huge menu of ice cream concoctions, so you're sure to find something you'll love. And before you leave, don't forget to take a walk through the Ghirardelli store right next door because #SpoonTip: they always hand out free samples. 

Therese Boccini

Next, we're out here on the West coast, so you KNOW seafood is on the menu. Maybe it's a tad cliche, but head on down to Fisherman's Wharf for some of the freshest fish in the city. We went to Cafe 8, which is a casual little place right next to its fancier companion, Alioto's. We were served warm, fresh sourdough bread. Most of the meals come with clam chowder, which I admit I ate so quickly that I forgot to grab a photo of it. My Wharf-Style Prawns were delicious as well, and I was surprised by how well they fit with the mashed potatoes that they were served with-- for some reason that isn't a combo that I would ever think of having. 

Therese Boccini

On the way home, we stopped to pick up more sourdough bread at a local bakery. And let me tell you, this is some of the coolest bread I've ever seen! They bake it into all kinds of different shapes, from crabs to the LIFE-SIZED bread alligator that I saw in the window of one shop. Sourdough bread has a long history in San Francisco that has to do with how miners  noticed that the way yeast grew in and around the city was very different from other places and created the unique flavor that we know and love today. Regardless of how it's made, sourdough bread was a HUGE part of my diet for my few days in Cali, from breakfast with butter and jam to a side dish for basically all of my meals. 

Therese Boccini

Another thing that San Francisco is known for is its incredible fresh produce, and I was not disappointed. At a local farmer's market, we were able to sample each variety of fruit before we bought it, so we knew that we were getting the freshest, most delicious fruit possible. They also had homemade empanadas for sale (which we had to purchase, of course), fresh flowers, and even a booth about registering to vote in your local community. After loading ourselves down with fruit, we moved on to our next destination, considerably fruitier. 

Therese Boccini

And of course, you can't visit California without trying some of the local Mexican food. My cousin's graduation party was catered by one of their favorite restaurants, so we had a wealth of beef, chicken, and carnitas tacos to choose from, along with THREE varieties of salsa (normal, verde, and salsa fresca), a tub of guacamole that could've fed 100 people, and much more. I definitely didn't mind eating leftover tacos for a few days and I enjoyed the Mexican food so much that I just HAD to get burritos from the Mission to bring back to the fam at home. 

Therese Boccini

Last but not least, San Francisco is also known for its incredible and widely varied Asian food. My cousin and I grabbed sushi to go and walked to the nearby Rockaway Beach and ate it gazing out onto the beautiful (though foggy) Pacific. The shrimp tempura, salmon avocado, and spicy tuna rolls were all amazingly fresh and delicious. And of course, sushi is just one small sampling of all the delicious Asian food you can find out in Cali. 

Therese Boccini

Obviously, I couldn't sample anything close to the full extent of all the culinary delicacies that San Francisco has to offer. There's still bubble tea, dim sum, crab, Dutch Crunch bread, fish tacos, and SO much more. So while I hit some of San Francisco's most famous (and delicious) spots, I'll definitely have to head back, and hopefully soon!