A dark twist on a French 75That’s how the waitress described The Allis' signature drink, the 1915. But it’s also how I would describe the Allis itself.

Isabelle Kenagy

The well-known restaurant sits inside the lobby of Chicago’s Soho House and has a sophisticated charm marked by the mahogany ceilings and dark leather chairs. The French 75 aesthetic shine through with the decadent chandeliers and subtle gold trimmings.

Isabelle Kenagy

With interior design details to rival the Restoration Hardware cafe, the West Loop restaurant also has a rich design history. Commissioned by midwest businessman Charles Allis in 1907 as the headquarters of the Chicago Belting Company, the building stands as one of Chicago’s best historical examples of industrial architecture. And the restaurant does not take this architectural history lightly. The lobby is decorated with repurposed items and features from the old Allis building and leather-production industry.

A dark twist on a French 75.

The Soho House maintains its own legacy with locations in the UK, Berlin, Istanbul, Barcelona, New York, West Hollywood, Miami, Chicago and Toronto. It also has a reputation for celebrity clientele and rather exclusive membership. A membership costs upwards of $1,000 and that’s only if you get approved after the application process. But, The Allis’ relatively inexpensive happy hour makes it easy to get into the posh establishment on a college-friendly budget. 

$18, the low-end cost of an entree at any upscale restaurant, got me two entrees.

Referred to as the 3-6-9 happy hour, deals fall within three price categories: $3, $6, or $9. I sampled from the 3 and 9 categories with a $3 crudité, $3 plate of almonds and olives, $9 flatbread, and $9 cheeseburger. The crudité was fresh and plentiful with a range of vegetables, although the dip itself was a little bland. The other $3 spread of almonds and olives was surprisingly delicious (you can’t really mess up almonds or olives) and was only slightly less than $3 could buy you at a grocery store.

Isabelle Kenagy

But of course, the entrees are where the magic happens. $18, the low-end cost of an entree at any upscale restaurant, got me two entrees. The burger was cooked perfectly and included a small but tasty piece of bacon. The mozzarella flatbread was just as delicious. The meal was perfect for two and left my dining companion and I too full for dessert. Most importantly, it was all under $50 for two, drinks and tip included. 

Isabelle Kenagy

How to Get Here From Northwestern University 

The Davis, Foster, and Noyes CTA stations provide easy access to the purple line. During select hours the purple line can take you to Clark/Lake where you hop on the green line to Morgan. If the purple line express is not running, switch to the red line at Howard and take that to Lake. State/Lake is across the street where you can catch the green line to Morgan. The Allis is only a two block walk from Morgan.

Isabelle Kenagy

The Allis is a girls night out destination waiting to happen, and the perfect escape from the stress of school. Meet you there!