The day I discovered that there was a waffle restaurant near the University of Minnesota campus was notably one of the best days of my life. Don't get me wrong - I love burritos, pizza, and sushi as much as the next gal - but waffles hold the key to my heart. I can't remember a time growing up when I didn't beg my mom to make waffles for dinner, and am a firm believer that waffles are infinitely better than pancakes (I mean they're fluffy and crispy, with little pockets for butter and syrup).

Luckily for me, I have friends who are at least half as passionate about waffles as I am. We visited the aforementioned waffle restaurant, Black Coffee and Waffle Bar, and tried seven of their signature waffles (which are bougie af). Since deciding what to order there is nearly impossible, I figured I would put together a little waffle guide so that y'all don't stand in the doorway of BC & WB staring blankly at the menu for an uncomfortable amount of time. Organized from least to most sweet, here are the seven signature waffles we tried.

For the Hippie

berry, sweet, cake, chocolate, cream, strawberry
Amber Holte

You know who you are. If you're the type of person to stroll into a brunch joint and order granola, the "Naughty Waffle" is for you. Topped with strawberries, bananas, blueberries, almond butter, granola, and whipped cream (which you'll probably just scrape off), this is the fruitiest, healthiest waffle on the BC & WB menu.

For Those with a Balanced Palate

cannoli, cake, cookie, cream, pastry, sweet, chocolate
Amber Holte

Simplicity is key with this waffle. "Banana Nut" features bananas, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, and whipped cream—perfect for the person who loves classic fruit-nut combos.

*Note: the gal who ordered this chose to add chocolate chips! The menu offers the opportunity to customize your waffle as much as you'd like.

For the Peanut Butter Obsessed

cake, cream, banana, chocolate, sweet
Amber Holte

This was me. In my opinion, the only thing that could make a waffle better (in addition to the classic butter-syrup-whipped-cream combo) is peanut butter. The "Fat Andrew" is topped with peanut butter, powdered sugar, cinnamon, bananas, and whipped cream. If you're curious about what heaven tastes like, order this waffle.

For Those with a Small Sweet Tooth

pastry, cake, coffee, sweet, cream, chocolate
Amber Holte

If you're not quite ready to bombard your body with sugar, but are still willing to dabble in a sweeter waffle, then you'll love the "Muddsucker." With a dash of powdered sugar, cinnamon, raw sugar, honey, and whipped cream, this waffle is sweet, yet refined.

For Those who Love Autumn Treats

candy, cream, sweet, waffle, chocolate
Amber Holte

Do you need a little taste of fall? Dig into the "Apple Strudel" and find yourself in caramel apple bliss. This waffle is smothered in baked apples, cinnamon, caramel, and whipped cream—all you need is a pumpkin spice latté!

For Those who Eat Dessert for Breakfast

shortcake, whipped cream, cream, strawberry
Amber Holte

Are you sad that you can't make it to the Cheesecake Factory during brunch hours? Well the "Strawberry Cheesecake" waffle is the answer to all your woes. This waffle includes cheesecake filling, strawberries, graham crackers, and whipped cream (all part of a balanced breakfast, of course).

For Those who Just Wanted Chocolate

pie, crepe, sweet, pastry, cream, cake, chocolate
Amber Holte

If you needed an excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast, you now have one. The "S'more" is topped with chocolate chips, marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate drizzle, making it the sweetest and most ambitious waffle to order. However, if you're feeling extra, pay the fifty cents to add whipped cream and you'll have the ultimate treat.

While it is my goal to try each and every one of these waffles during my time here at the U, I highly recommend eating at Black Coffee and Waffle Bar at least once (which isn't to say you shouldn't order more than one waffle per visit). After all, there is truly nothing better than crispy, fluffy, golden brown waffles. To quote Leslie Knope: "We need to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter. But work is third."

tea, beer, coffee
Amber Holte