While I must admit I enjoy the convenience of GelBucks and I’m just as much a sucker for Dunkin’ as any other Bostonian, these never-ending, frigid months between December and March call for a hot chocolate upgrade. So, I took it upon myself to find the most decadent, unique, top-notch hot chocolates in DC. I know what you’re thinking…why would you want to go off campus when you have satisfying options so close to your dorm? Well, if your ideal winter day means cozying up to a perfect mug of hot cocoa to escape the bitter cold and feed your chocolate addiction (mine does), the short walk to these locations is well worth it. Take it from a hot chocolate addict herself—your taste buds will certainly thank you later.

1. Mudd House

One word: Ghirardelli. That’s right, Mudd House uses a mix by this famous chocolate brand to make a rich and decadent drink. It’s a chocolate lover’s dream come true. Here, you never have to fear that you’ll be sipping on a watered-down drink that vaguely tastes like chocolate. If you love Ghirardelli chocolate as much as I do, check out other mouth-watering recipes that use its deliciousness.

Hot Chocolate

Photo by Jen Kaufman

2. Bourbon Coffee

Already a favorite GW study spot, Bourbon is known for their direct trade coffee. This means that the coffee is purchased directly from Rwandan farmers, allowing them to make more money (which is why we love it!). The hot chocolate is just as good as its famous coffee—a perfect blend that’s not super rich (like Shake Shack) but still packs a punch of flavor. Go for the change of scenery and stay for its version of your childhood favorite. Plus, you even get a fun design on top.

Hot Chocolate

Photograph by Jose Garcia

3. Shake Shack

I know what you’re thinking—why would a place that’s known for its burgers also make amazing hot chocolate? Well, Shack Shack was listed as one of the greatest places in the world to get hot chocolate. The thick drink tastes like chocolate was actually melted down and put in a cup for people to enjoy. The addition of salted caramel brings the drink to a whole new level. One sip, and you’ll no longer think about just burgers and shakes the next time you hear the name Shake Shack.

Hot Chocolate

Photo by Jen Kaufman

4. Soho Tea and Coffee

At Soho Tea and Coffee the white hot chocolate is a must—it’s the perfect drink if you’re looking for hot chocolate that’s sweet but isn’t too dark or super rich. It’s served in a mason jar (how trendy) and topped with a mound of whipped cream on top—the perfect finishing touch. Because Soho Tea and Coffee is a little bit off the beaten path for most GW students, it’s the perfect place to get away, warm up and read a book while enjoying your drink and some of their awesome food. If you want to make your own white hot chocolate, learn how here.

Hot Chocolate

Photo by Jen Kaufman