Stamp Student Union: a food oasis for hungry Terps at the University of Maryland. Students have accessibility -- and arguably too much of it -- to Chik-fil-a, Panda Express, the Maryland Dairy, Sbarro and Subway, just to name a few. But the most recent addition, Hibachi-San, which opened in September 2017, serves up one of the latest food trends: poke bowls.

You've heard the term "poke" (pronounced "POH-keh."), but what is it exactly? The word actually means to slice or cut in Hawaiian, but essentially it's a raw fish salad. However, with poke bowls at Hibachi-San, one can get much more than simply deconstructed sushi because of the variety of toppings and proteins they offer. 

Ally Tobler

I got a small bowl, which is smaller than the regular bowl but it's large enough to be a satisfying meal. I don't really see why anyone would need the regular bowl unless you're just sushi-obsessed or haven't eaten all day. I didn't choose the traditional cold seafood options for protein (Hibachi-San offers so many options, including Sriracha ahi tuna, original salmon, spicy yuzu salmon, creamy bay scallops, and more) and instead opted for the chicken and steak for warmth. I definitely still experienced the refreshing taste of sushi, thanks to the toppings I selected. 

Fortunately, Hibachi-San allows customers to choose any amount of toppings their deprived stomachs desire. Except when their best option, avocado, runs out. Not surprised. Besides that bummer, I was excited to add ginger (for color), seaweed salad, edamame, fried onion (for texture) and soy sauce to my bed of brown rice and protein picks. 

Ally Tobler

The ginger paired with the thinly-sliced, spaghetti-like seaweed gave the bowl the essence of sushi that I so miss as I live at college, and it worked even without the traditional raw fish. It was light and crisp -- perfect for my 11:30 a.m. lunch squeezed in between classes and obligations. 

And to my surprise, I absolutely loved the fried onion pieces (though the name sounds gross, I know, the thought grossed me out too), they added a needed crunch to the otherwise soft bowl. Because the proteins were so tender, the fried onion indirectly crusted them, giving the chicken and steak the perfect exterior texture. 

Besides the bowl itself, I enjoyed the service of Hibachi-San in Stamp. Everything was quickly prepared and I could see the all of the ingredients before employees added them to my bowl. They also offer drinks, like Japanese Lemonade (which tastes exactly like Minute Maid), and those chopsticks you'll never use. But hey, it's the thought that counts. 

Overall, Hibachi-San in Stamp earned a solid 3.5 out of 5 in my book. It could have been a little less dry (that may have been my own fault due to fear of too much soy sauce). But, for being a non-traditional poke bowl with my choice of proteins, it certainly was better than I expected. Next time, maybe I'll get the spicy tuna to see the bowl blossom into its full potential.