There's no better way to stay warm on a cold day than with a steaming cup of cocoa. Whether you like your hot chocolate quirky, over-the-top, simple, classy, spiced or boozy, this winter drink perfectly complements the harsh Windy City winters. So, I've rounded up the best hot chocolates in Chicago for every type of hot cocoa enthusiast out there. 

1. BomboBar

Charlotte (Charli) Hu

Price: $9

Truly over-the-top and extravagant in every way, BomboBar's Hotter Hot Chocolate is deadly combination of a s'mores bar, a Bombolini donut and a rich hot chocolate base. The drink is piled high with marshmallow fluff, chocolate sauce and crunchy graham cracker bits. This flavor and texture rollercoaster will delight your tastebuds with every bite. It's no wonder BomboBar is one of the most popular, and Instagram-worthy, West Loop spots.

2. Mindy's Hot Chocolate

Charlotte (Charli) Hu

Price: $8 

A quintessential hot chocolate spot, Mindy's features an entire hot chocolate menu that consists of dark to light chocolates. Better yet, you can even add booze to some. Each drink comes with a house-made marshmallow. Silky smooth and a perfectly sweet end to an eventful night, you can't go wrong with Mindy's hot cocoa. 

3. Caffe Umbria

Charlotte (Charli) Hu

Price: $2.75

These delightfully-painted cups hold ounces of pure cocoa joy. Caffe Umbria, a hidden gem that is located in the River North neighborhood, exudes practical caffeine magic. This place features regular hot chocolate that proves light, not overly sweet, and completely satisfying. I don't know about you, but I'd go for the cup alone. 

4. Katherine Anne Confections

Charlotte (Charli) Hu

Price: $9

Who needs a flight of beer when you can order a flight of hot chocolate at Katherine Anne Confections? These hot cocoa flights feature three cups of heaven. The small café offers seasonal flavors like Butterbeer hot chocolate (I'm talking to you, Harry Potter fanatics). Vegan options are available as well.

5. XOCO

Charlotte (Charli) Hu

Price: $3.50 ($1.60 to add a churro)

Undoubtedly one of the best hot chocolates in Chicago, the Champurrado (Mexican hot chocolate) is authentic and flavorful. While the corn-based hot chocolate is not as sweet as your traditional cocoa, the drink is mild and creamy. The aftertaste is laced with hints of spice. Let's not forget about the churro you can order to accompany your Champurrado. Sugar coma to follow.

6. Lavazza Cafe at Eataly

Charlotte (Charli) Hu

Price: $4.30

No watered-down mess to be found here. The Cioccolata con Panna (Italian hot chocolate) means business, and it's absolutely divine. The flavor is so full-bodied you almost drown in its sugary decadence. Besides, this place is located in Eataly, which is arguably the best Italian food, restaurant, and grocery mega-center in the entire city. Easily one of the best hot chocolates in Chicago, and for good reason.

As winter in Chicago approaches, hot chocolate becomes a major staple. Take a study break to sip on some of the best hot chocolates in Chicago. Your winters will be infinitely better, and I can think of no better way to relax and warm up on a cold day.