There’s nothing I love more than a good deal, especially when that good deal involves good food and drinks. When you put it all together, you have a winning combination. Most Penn students (myself included) under utilize the great deals offered by many of the restaurants right around campus, but that ends here. Here are a few of my favorite restaurants with great happy hour deals. Grab your purse and get happy.

Distrito (3945 Chestnut St.): Monday-Friday 5pm-7pm: $2 Tecate cans (Mexican beer), $5-7 cocktails & wine, and a $5-$7 food menu.

Happy Hours

Photo courtesy of visitphilly.com

Distrito’s happy hour is great for those times you’re feeling a little upscale but don’t want to pay the price that typically comes with it. The margaritas are delicious (especially the frozen ones), and the ambiance is classy yet fun. Great place to try before a night out.

Mad Mex (3401 Walnut St.): Monday-Friday 4:30pm-6:30pm: $7 “Big Azz Margaritas” (also offered late night from 10pm-12am), $3 12 oz. and $5 16 oz. margaritas and 1/2 off drafts and wings.

Happy Hours

Photo courtesy of madmex.com

The 22 oz. “Big Azz Margaritas” are no joke. If you opt for them frozen, be weary of a serious brain freeze. Located behind the CVS on Walnut, Mad Mex is often overlooked, but if you’re in the mood for a giant margarita, there’s no better place to check out.

Local 44 (): Monday-Friday 5pm-7pm: $3 local drafts.

Happy Hours

Photo courtesy of local44beerbar.com

Local 44, although not considered a regular Penn spot, has a wide selection of locally brewed beers on draft. The food at Local 44 is just as good as the beer–plus it is cheaper and better quality than your typical pub fare. The Local 44 Bottle Shop, adjacent to the restaurant, also  has its own happy hour from 6pm-8pm.

Baby Blues (3402 Sansom St.): Monday-Friday 5pm-7pm: $4 Troegs (local beer), $3 Saki Sangria and specials on well drinks, bottles and appetizers.

Happy Hours

Photo courtesy of philadelphia.cities2night.com

Baby Blue’s, a definite Penn favorite, offers drinks that people typically forget about when focusing on their delicious barbecue. If you’re looking to have a really good time, ask for the “Heavy Hitter.” The name says it all…

White Dog Cafe (3420 Sansom St.): Monday-Friday 5pm-7pm:  1/2 off all drafts, $5 house wines and $5  liquor mixers.

Happy Hours

Photo courtesy of whitedog.com

Yes, White Dog exists beyond Sunday brunch. It has incredible unique seasonal cocktails such as a Butternut Squash Manhattan and a Pear Martini. White Dog also offers great small plates to go with its drinks–the truffle parmesan fries are sure to be anyone’s favorite treat.

Pod (3636 Sansom St.): Sunday-Thursday 9pm-closing: $6 cocktails, $6 wine and $4 beer as well as $5 maki and dim sum.

Happy Hours

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Every Penn student loves Pod…just not its prices. Most don’t realize that if you can hold off until 9pm, you can enjoy your favorite dim sum dishes for only $5 while drinking Pod’s tasty drinks for cheap. Thank you Steven Starr!

Millcreek Tavern (4200 Chester Ave.): Monday 8pm-10pm: $13 unlimited beer and wings.

Happy Hours

Photo courtesy of philly.thedrinknation.com

Millcreek Tavern is by far my favorite place to go on a Monday night. Though it is a bit off the beaten path, Millcreek is the perfect spot for Monday night football watching. After all, what can beat never-ending beer and wings for $13?