Hanukkah in Boston may look different this year, but there's no need to skip out on your favorite treats. Regardless where you're celebrating or who you're celebrating with, these foods will be there to comfort you this holiday season.

Here's where to find your favorite Hanukkah treats:

1. Matzo Ball Soup

Inna's Kitchen, located in the Boston Public Market, can fix you up with a comforting cup of soup on a brisk winter day. Perfect in both a single serving or a big quantity to share, their matzo ball soup (pictured left) does not disappoint! While you're in the area, check out these other vendors at the Boston Public Market.

2. Latkes

Mamaleh's Delicatessen, located in Cambridge, serves up an extensive variety of Jewish cuisine. These latkes make the perfect appetizer and be sure to bring apple sauce or sour cream for dipping!

3. Black and White Cookies

Now we jump right into dessert with these classic black and white cookies. Mamaleh's is prepared to serve any occasion, and can customize your order to your liking for the holiday season as pictured above.

4. Sufganiyot

To close off the trio of Mamaleh's treats we have sufganiyot, also known as a round jelly donut! During Hanukkah, we eat fried foods to remind us of the miracle of oil. The Maccabees were oppressed under Greek rule, and the Greeks made all of the oil in the land impure; however, they had looked over one jar. The Maccabees then used this jar of oil to provide light, and instead of only burning for one night, the menorah was able to provide light for eight consecutive nights. For more on why we celebrate Hanukkah check out this read!

5. Challah

A classic with twelve locations in the Boston area alone, Tatte Bakery & Cafe serves up challah every Shabbat and throughout Hanukkah. If you don't want their traditional loaf, they also offer a delicious challah french toast for weekend brunch!

And if you're up for an even bigger twist, see what this "challah guru" has to offer: 

Mandylicious' recipes vary from savory to sweet, but all are far from ordinary. Check out the first photo deck for chocolate lovers and the second photo deck for multiple variations on the  rainbow theme. She whips up a challah style for everyone and offers regular baking classes. The challah guru does not disappoint.

6. Rugelach

Cafe Landwer, located near Fenway, highlights the Nutella rugelach on their menu. However, they can also be your go-to for all things Mediterranean, as they also serve a wide variety of hummus, shwarma, falafel, shakshuka, and pasta dishes.

7. Coconut Macaroons

Zaftigs, located in Brookline, is a cozy deli that also offers breakfast all day. These macaroons are the ideal dessert for someone with a love for coconut, but if you dip them in chocolate I'm sure they will be a fan favorite for everyone!

8. Babka

Galit's Treats, located in Newton, is a newer storefront but nonetheless capable of creating mouthwatering treats. Their babka is a perfect way to end a Hanukkah night, but who's to say you can't sneak in a slice for breakfast?

Supporting Local

The Jewish population in Boston is strong and what better way to support local businesses than by trying what they have to offer this holiday season. Many of these places serve these treats year round, but elevate their treats to the next level just in time for the holidays. Hanukkah this year is Thursday, December 10th through Friday, December 18th. Wishing you all a happy and healthy holiday! 

Chag Sameach!