In the spring semester of my first year at Wake Forest University my friends and I were looking for a new Asian restaurant to put to the test. We had tried many Asian restaurants in the past, but were never impressed. While we discovered Mizu, one day we all were craving more than just Sushi. Some older friends of ours recommended that we give Hakka-Chow Asian Eats a go.

Hakka-Chow is located in the Shops At St George Square, near Hanes Mall. It is open for lunch and dinner every day but Monday. Their food is influenced by Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, and Indian cuisine. As a tofu lover, I was attracted to the many tofu dishes on their dinner menu and decided that we had to give it a try. The diverse dishes catered to our group of friends with diverse palates and tastes.

The first time I dined at Hakka-Chow, my friends and I ordered spring rolls as our appetizer. As my entree, I ordered the Mapo Tofu with brown rice. The spring roll was crispy and paired well with the sweet and spicy sauce. As for the Mapo tofu, I was amazed. The tofu was perfectly crisp, something difficult to find in a restaurant. Not only was the tofu cooked properly, but the sauce on it was to die for. It was a perfect balance of sweet, sour, and savory. Even my meat eating friends agreed that it was amazing. 

Along with the food, the space and service were excellent at Hakka-Chow. The restaurant is spacious, but its booth-style seating feels cozy, making it perfect for casual and festive dinners. In addition, the servers were knowledgeable and friendly, making it a pleasant and comfortable dining experience. Lastly, the prices were very reasonable considering the colossal portions of our meals. Even for those with large appetites, it would be appropriate to split a meal and be satisfied. My leftovers made for the perfect lunch the next day. After my wonderful first experience, Hakka-Chow became my go-to spot when I’m craving Asian food, particularly Chinese-inspired food.

After my first experience, I returned several times with my friends. I have ordered several new dishes such as tofu lettuce wraps and Mongolian tofu. While I have loved everything I have tried, my go-to order is now the Mongolian tofu with added broccoli. Mongolian tofu is Hakka-Chow’s vegan spin on Mongolian beef. This dish is similar to the Mapo tofu, but instead of the Mapo sauce, it is served with their mouthwatering Mongolian beef sauce. One server recommended I add broccoli to it, and I have not returned. The broccoli absorbs the sauce making it juicy and delicious

Collyn Ballentine

I would recommend Hakka-Chow to anyone in the Winston-Salem area looking to try an affordable pan-Asian restaurant, particularly tofu lovers, vegans, and vegetarians. While I do not eat meat, my meat-loving friends have loved dishes such as the Kobe beef dumplings, orange chicken, and chicken pad Thai. I have had nothing but excellent experiences at this restaurant. 

Did you enjoy reading this article? Checkout this article on the ultimate guide to tofu.