Trust me, I'll be the first to say, dining hall food and +7 meals get old...fast. I don't know about you, but when my parents arrived for parents weekend I took full advantage of the ca$h. I stocked up on necessities I didn't want to pay for on my own at Target, got myself some new apparel, and ordered food I couldn't afford. My parents and I discovered that the area surrounding Elon has some great places to eat while bonding over some great food. So, next time your parents are in town to pick up the check, choose from this list of great places to eat. You won't be disappointed. 

Brunch

Iron Hen Cafe

Johanna Hilpuesch

Saturday mornings are for mimosas and brunch and Iron Hen is the ultimate spot to get your fix. Iron Hen Cafe is apart of the Fresh.Local.Good. food group which owns a family of restaurants located in Greensboro – only 30 minutes from campus. It has the coziest atmosphere, cocktails, coffee, and offers everything from omelets to salads 7 days a week; there's no excuse not to go check it out. The menu features a few unique twists on traditional brunch staples including Sweet Potato Pancakes and a Crab Cake Sandwich.

Print Works Bistro

Julie Levine

When I first arrived at Elon, countless upperclassmen raved about Print Works. Let me tell you, the hype is real. Make sure to make a reservation in advance because it's no secret. The atmosphere is classy, with a modern twist – perfect for that shameless brunch Instagram. Going with the family is great because you can get a taste of all the delicious starters. My fam devoured Cremé Filled Warm Beignets and Champagne and Brie Fondue (pictured above). 

What can I say? I'm a big brunch fan. My family indulged in a lot of brunches during parents weekend.

Lunch

Press Coffee+Crepes

Photo courtesy of Jason Cox

If you're looking for something a little different for lunch, this spot is a full send. Located 20 minutes from campus, Press serves up sweet and savory crepes 7am-6pm Monday to Friday. The vibe is trendy and the employee's are extremely warm. I highly suggest trying some of their savory options. The Turkey Brie crepe is fire. Each comes with your choice of pesto pasta salad, black bean and corn salad, broccoli salad, or chips. You really get a bang for your buck.

Dinner

The Traveled Farmer

This spot has fresh food with ingredients from around the globe giving it a "farm to table" vibe. It even has a little market with locally grown produce, custom meal kits and pre-made meals. The menu is exotic and features some of their farm providers (pretty legit, huh?) but don't let that scare you away. The dishes are flavorful and unique and there's something on the menu for everyone. I ordered the Crispy Wontons with beet ketchup to share as an appetizer and the Butternut Squash Pasta with Grilled Chicken as my entree. I will definitely be returning.

Lindley Park Filling Station

This cute neighborhood spot is a converted gas station that now features great sandwiches, wraps, burgers, and salads. They even have a spinach and garbanzo bean "burger" so non-meat lovers can order something other than the go-to salad. Its menu of comfort food and quick service make it a popular place to grab a bite. Some distinct appetizers include fried pickle chips, pulled pork bruschetta, and basket of Faucette Farms Sweet Potato Chips.

So my friends, it's great when your parents come to visit. You get to see your family and also can get some REAL food out of it. Seize the opportunity and check out a few of these places to escape the "Elon Bubble."