The hottest grilled cheese joint in the neighborhood is reintroducing its fall menu with all-time favorites and brand new creations.

Since 2011, NYU alums and soon-to-be-weds, Adam Schneider and Vanessa Palazio, have been dishing out gourmet renditions of the classic melt at their first location in the LES. The menu, which changes seasonally, features inventive combinations of fancy fromages, proteins and farm-fresh vegetables—think pork belly with Gouda and caramelized onions or vegetarian-friendly avocado with cheddar, lemon and Japanese kewpie mayo. For an extra dollar, you can now also add bone marrow butter to any sandwich for a heartier, more layered flavor.

little muenster

Photo by Emanuel Hahn

With a cozy space reminiscent of a light, airy New England kitchen, Little Muenster starkly contrasts the new trend of dimly lit, enclosed restaurants. The signature lighting fixture—a DIY project made with exactly 168 cheese graters—stands out as the only industrial piece in the otherwise homey room.

little muenster

Photo by Emanuel Hahn

“We love having people over and entertaining.” said Palazio. “It’s like an extension of our own kitchen at home. People can feel like they’re snacking on sandwiches at a friend’s kitchen counter.”

This fall, seasonal favorites like the Autumn—sage brown butter, butternut squash, Asiago and Muenster—return by popular demand, while recent additions like the Heirloom Tomato with goat cheese make their first appearance. Also offered are a variety of salads and sides, including a hearty tomato soup and an eggplant confit with white bean puree.

little muenster

Photo by Emanuel Hahn

We ended our visit by sampling two of the signature summer items prepared in the kitchen by Schneider himself. The Eggs in a Whole was filled with a runny duck egg and a slice of pungent Vacherin cheese, and the Veggie grilled cheese boasted distinct notes of lemon and oregano that added a tangy kick to the sharp cheddar.

little muenster

Photo by Emanuel Hahn

Whether you’re stopping by for a quick lunch or stumbling in at 4am for a late night snack, Little Muenster will undoubtedly rekindle childhood memories of your mom’s homemade grilled cheese.

Tip: NYU students bring in your ID and mention NYU Spoon for a free bag of chips with any sandwich.

average

Locations:
LES: 100 Stanton St (between Ludlow and Orchard Sts)
DUMBO: 145 Front St (between Pearl and Jay Sts)
Hours of Operation: LES: Tue-Thu: noon to 10pm, Fri-Sat: noon to 4am

little muenster

Photo by Emanuel Hahn