In a nondescript backstreet between Langdon St. and East Lakelawn Place hides a convenient mart frequented by fraternity boys, sorority girls and Langdon locals. Those who are regulars at MacTaggart’s Market know it as “Tags.” The minute you walk down into the basement entry, you will immediately be overcome with the aroma of buttery popcorn and the loud beats of electric dance music.

Tags is equipped with a deli counter, bakery section, fridges filled with alcoholic and non-alcoholic drink options and plenty of snack food. But, what Tags is really known for is their amazing breakfast sandwiches.

Regulars know to order a hot, gooey breakfast sandwich on either a warm croissant or toasted English muffin. In addition to breakfast sandwiches, Tags is also known for their deli sandwiches. The key to their sandwiches is the bread (definitely order the hot focaccia or asiago cheese). Tags serves Boar’s Head deli meats, but many also rave about their chicken and tuna salads. The deli section offers an extensive make-your-own salad menu in which customers pick from choices of lettuce, vegetables, cheese, meats and dressings. Pro tip: ask for it chopped.

Tag’s bakery items and bread are made fresh daily and are the most underrated menu items. Early each morning, the ovens are filled with “hella huge” cookies, donuts and loaves of bread.

The prices at Tags are very reasonable. If you know the word of the day, posted on Tags’ Facebook page, you can grab yourself a free drink. Tags is open late, making it the perfect spot to satisfy late night munchies. As for the popcorn smell, It comes from the free browsing popcorn.

Need more info? Check out their website at mactaggartsmarket.com.

cheap

Address: 230 W Lakelawn Pl, Madison, WI 53703

Hours of operation: Mon-Thu: 7am to 12am, Fri: 7am to 3am, Sat: 8am – 3am, Sun: 8am to 12am; Deli closes at 9pm Sun-Thurs