I’m from New Jersey, so naturally that means I love bagels. Good bagels. Coming to school in DC, the one thing that I miss the most is my hometown bagel shop. Whenever I go home, one of the first things I do is go to my local Bagels-4-U and order my favorite sandwich: an egg bagel toasted with turkey and cheese. It’s delicious.

But unfortunately, there is no bagel shop in DC that can live up to it. Especially not the GW Deli, whose bagels are just overrated. In my refusal to accept that Deli is the best place to get a bagel near GW’s campus, I’ve found some pretty good alternatives.

1. K Street Bagel

bagels

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

K Street Bagel is right by 2020 K, making it an ideal spot to grab some food after class. They have a great selection of bagels that are wonderfully chewy and soft. They also have great coffee, which makes this a wonderful breakfast spot. The best part is that they deliver!

2. Fabulous Market

bagels

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Fabulous Market is a tiny, unassuming cafe right on Pennsylvania. You really have to look for it or you’ll miss it! They have great bagel sandwiches – everything from egg and cheese, to meats, to chicken salad. My favorite part about this place is that they will put anything you ask for on a bagel. They also stay open until 8 p.m. so if you ever want a bagel for dinner, this is the place to go.

3. Bullfrog Bagels

bagels

Photo courtesy of bullfrogbagels.com

If you’re a salmon fan, this place is for you. Bullfrog Bagels has some of the most interesting bagel sandwich selections you’ll find in DC. From Scottish smoked salmon to pastrami-crusted smoked salmon and corned beef, they have it all. Basically, they will put any type of protein you could want on a bagel (which naturally makes it 10x better).

4.Bethesda Bagels

bagels

Photo courtesy of bethesdabagels.com

You can’t go wrong with getting a bagel from Bethesda Bagels, especially not with their inventive assortment of cream cheese spreads. Boasting flavors such as cracked pepper and caramelized onion cream cheese, as well as honey raisin walnut, this Dupont bagel shop is a standout. The best part about this place is that they do breakfast all day. If you’re ever craving a bagel and egg sandwich at one in the afternoon, this is the place to go. They also have a really great specials menu. Everyday of the week they have a $1 off a different type of sandwich.

#Spoontip: In a rush? Check out Whole Foods bagels. If you’re pressed for time and looking for a quick, make-it-yourself bagel, Whole Foods is the place to go.