Food in Georgetown is, in a word, expensive (or in two words, obscenely expensive). Given that $12 salads are the norm, it’s a wonder how we aren’t all starving to death. I still love you, Sweetgreen, but I’m just saying.

With this in mind, I’ve compiled for you a list of little-known discounts at Georgetown food establishments I’ve come to take advantage of during my four years (which is a lot, penny pincher that I am) and a few that I discovered during my research. So read on if you want to save money and/or feel less guilty for skipping “free” Leo’s meals!

1. Cafe Mayo

3147 Dumbarton Street NW

Cafe Mayo is a hidden gem, but don’t take my word for it – this place consistently receives five stars on Yelp. While off the beaten track in Georgetown, Cafe Mayo is known for its high-quality Cuban food and homemade mayonnaise.

The deal: Students receive 15% off any of their 17 specialty sandwiches. You can find the menu here.

2. Domino’s Pizza

3255 Prospect Street NW

While Domino’s may not be gourmet pizza, there are times when it really hits the spot. I recommend trying the thin crust pizza; it’s surprisingly wonderful.

The deal: Students get a large, 1-topping pizza for $7.99, regularly priced at over $14. Make sure to bring that GoCard! You can’t get this discount if you order online, so make sure to call or walk-in.

3. Wingo’s

3207 O Street NW

Restaurant Discounts

Courtesy of Paul Sableman

As a vegetarian, I don’t have any firsthand experience with Wingo’s wings, but Wingo’s reputation precedes itself. Wingo’s is a staple in many Georgetown students’ diets.

The deal: On Wednesdays, Georgetown students get 50% off their order. Don’t forget your GoCard! You can order online right now or just peruse the menu on their website.

4. Simply Banh Mi

1624 Wisconsin Avenue NW

If you’ve never had banh mi or Vietnamese food in general, this is a great spot to give it a try. Simply Banh Mi is cozy, well priced and has very friendly staff! If you don’t believe me, ask the Yelp-ers.

The deal: Georgetown students get 10% off everything, every day. Reasonably priced banh mi and pho just got even cheaper. Check out the menu.

5. Thomas Sweet

3214 P Street NW

Restaurant Discounts

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

Lauded as one of the best ice cream spots in Georgetown, T. Sweet never disappoints. All their ice cream is homemade, and they have an incredible variety of flavors. My personal favorite is the coffee oreo.

The deal: If you have StudentAdvantage on your GoCard, you can get one topping free. Sure, these aren’t huge savings, but every bit counts, right?

6. Wagner’s Liquor & Wine

1717 Wisconsin Avenue NW

Wagner’s has, among other things, a huge selection of beers. In fact, Wagner’s has a list of over 400 beers you can choose from for a keg. Basically, it’s college party central.

The deal: Every Wednesday, students get 10% off their purchase with student ID. It’s time to start thinking ahead for your weekend alcohol needs!

7. Georgetown Cupcake

3301 M Street NW

Restaurant Discounts

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

Georgetown Cupcake makes a pretty damn good cupcake. I may be biased because I happen to work there, but I think Georgetown students tend to prefer Baked and Wired just because it makes them feel like “locals” rather than tourists, not because Baked and Wired has better cupcakes. However, regardless of which side you fall on with this particular debate, would you really say no to a free Georgetown cupcake?

The deal: If you like Georgetown Cupcake on Facebook or follow them on Twitter, you will see a “Secret Flavor” posted every day that is free when you order it by name. However, only 100 are baked each day, so you should plan to get there before noon.

8. Sweet Frog

1737 Wisconsin Avenue NW

Sweet Frog is a self-service frozen yogurt spot with a large variety of toppings and flavors, from very berry to toasted marshmallow. Check out the full list of flavors here.

The deal: The backs of Safeway receipts have a coupon for buy one, get one free frozen yogurt or half off any frozen yogurt. With Pinkberry closed for the time being, this could be your new froyo spot! Yelp reviewers seem to think it should be.

9. Cafe Tu-O-Tu Express

3421 M Street NW

Move over Dean and DeLuca; Cafe Tu-O-Tu’s paninis and sandwiches may have you beat. My favorite is the classic caprese melt panini. Their pesto tastes remarkably fresh and the paninis are always crunchy on the outside and melty and wonderful on the inside. There are over forty different wraps, sandwiches and paninis to choose from. You can check out the entire menu here.

The deal: Your Safeway receipt will get you 30% off your entire check at Cafe Tu-O-Tu. I hope I have now convinced you to save your Safeway receipts.

10. Mai Thai

3251 Prospect Street NW

Restaurant Discounts

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

Mai Thai has definitely been a staple during my Georgetown career… specifically, $3 sushi at Happy Hour. The proximity to campus (not to mention the free delivery!) makes this restaurant near and dear to many of us.

The deal: You can get a free entree at Mai Thai on your birthday, and you don’t have to sign up for any pesky emails to do it. Make sure to bring ID!

11. Godiva Chocolatier

3242 M Street NW

Godiva chocolate is one of the best chocolates commonly available in the US. Want some for free? Read on…

The deal: If you sign up for Godiva’s Rewards Club, you’ll get a free chocolate every month that you can pick up at the M Street location.

Now get out there and get some cheap eats!

Looking for more cheap eats? Check out this list of happy hour deals in Georgetown.