Gennaro’s Pizza Parlor, located just down the street from campus, is obviously known for their pizza. Some of my favorites include the Pizza Bianca (fresh mozzarella, ricotta cheese, Romano cheese, and Prosciutto Di Parma) and the Quattro Formaggi (fresh mozzarella, plum tomato sauce, blend of imported provolone, fontina, and Pecorino Romano). But, they also have killer subs and some awesome side dishes as well.

Here are my top three sub choices from Gennaro’s:

1. Hot Italian

gennaro's

Photo by Rianna Lloyd

The Hot Italian consists ham, capicola, pepperoni, lettuce, tomato and onion with house-made balsamic vinaigrette. They have a cold version, which I haven’t tried but I imagine is super good as well. But the warmth of it really adds to the flavors and makes the sandwich, especially the bread, comforting and filling.

2. Eggplant Parmesan

gennaro's

Photo by Rianna Lloyd

Another comforting and filling sandwich option is the Eggplant Parmesan. Their menu states that it is “lightly seasoned, battered and fried just right, completed with marinara and baked under mozzarella cheese.” That description definitely sums up the Eggplant Parm experience! If you’re craving meat, though, they also have chicken parm, meatball parm, and sausage parm. I haven’t tried the others (yet) but if the one I did try is any indication, you’re good to go.

3. Gennaro’s Original Porchetta Sub

gennaro's

Photo by Rianna Lloyd

This sandwich sounded the most interesting and it paid off. It consists of thinly sliced Italian seasoned pork, roasted red peppers, caramelized onions, provolone cheese, all baked together and finished with an arugula and garlic-based oil. It was GOOOOD. If you’re craving something a little outside the standard subs, this is the way to go. You won’t be disappointed.

In addition to these awesome sandwiches, Gennaro’s has some great starters/sides. They have some basics like Tuscan bean soup and antipasto, but they also have choices like wings, garlic bread, and risotto rice balls. I have not tried the rice balls but they sound good: fried and stuffed with seasoned beef and mozzarella cheese served with marinara sauce. And finish up with a cannoli or tiramisu for dessert!

P.S. They deliver on orders at least $15.