The rustic and warm decor is the first thing you notice when you enter Gather in downtown Berkeley. The second is the twinkling fairy lights lining the ceiling of the patio while an eye-catching waterfall scene, complete with fishes and lush greenery, sits at the center. And while the view doesn't disappoint, Gather's mission is also an impressive venture. Known for their seasonal, organic, and ethically sourced food, Gather caters to all eaters, whether vegan, vegetarian, or omnivore, looking for a great meal. With a wide variety of menu items, here are some of the dishes we tried on our visit that you should try too.

#SpoonTip: Get a seat at the patio for the full, fancy experience!

Lunch

Sarah Su

Gather's lunch menu offers a multitude of fresh, seasonal food, of which we decided on the Falafel Burger, Little Gem & Escarole Salad, and Spicy Tomato Pizza. The burger and pizza were highly recommended and were chosen to judge Gather's execution of plant-centric foods. Both dishes are entirely vegan and replace animal products with chickpeas, cashews, and vegetables, creating pleasantly surprising bites.

Sarah Su

The falafel patty in the burger was crispy, but moist and flavorful, making up for the lack of strong-flavored toppings or sauce. The pizza was very saucy and topped with a savory olive-caper mixture that contrasted the sweeter, creamy cashew puree standing in for cheese. Both dishes were very filling and did not make you miss meat or dairy. 

Dinner

Cynthia Liu

Dinner was when we could best appreciate the true vision of Gather—the setting sun and fairy lights illuminated the soft, romantic atmosphere of the restaurant. With a more extensive dinner menu, we decided on various dishes to sample, including a Fig & Mizuna Salad, Roast Organic Chicken Plate, Jimmy Nardello Peppers & Burrata Pizza, and Sweet & Spicy Crispy Cauliflower. 

Cynthia Liu

The star of this spread was the brand new Jimmy Nardello pizza. Introduced just the day before we showed up, it's no wonder it was an instant hit with the customers. The combination of soft burrata cheese, salty bacon, and sweet peppers on a thin crust created a mouthwatering flavor profile.

Cynthia Liu

Not to be outdone, the Roast Organic Chicken truly highlighted Fall on a plate. With a side of a roasted medley of parsnips and sugar pie pumpkin, the well-seasoned and juicy chicken sat on a surprisingly tangy butternut squash puree. Decorated with edible flowers and colorful seasonal vegetables, this is a well-rounded centerpiece to your meal. 

My personal favorite of the bunch was the inconspicuous Sweet & Spicy Cauliflower. This dish may seem simple at first glance, but the first bite instantly proves you wrong. A sweet, savory, and slightly hot sauce soaks into juicy cauliflower that got more flavorful the longer it sat. 

Cynthia Liu

For dessert, we had a show-stopping bread pudding with a custardy center and crispy edges. Topped with a light whipped cream, fruity blueberry compote, and drizzled with a sweet and bitter bourbon caramel sauce, it made for a very delicious end to dinner. 

Sarah Su

With great views and a lively atmosphere, Gather is an excellent location for a sit-down feast with friends, a date spot, or a fancy meal to splurge on for yourself. The farm-to-table, truly Berkeley aspects of these menu items make this restaurant a must on your to-do list. Don't wait!