It’s no secret that college students love ramen noodles. It’s also no secret that college students love saving money. Gaku Ramen, Burlington, Vermont’s newest Japanese restaurant, beautifully combines these aspects to make a new go-to for the local college community.

Ramen is a commonly misunderstood food group. Most of us think of a strange dried brick of curly noodles with an assortment of flavor packets from chicken to beef to miso. Costing us a mere 99 cents a packet, why not? They can’t be that bad!

However, Gaku Ramen is here to show us that there is another more filling, more flavorful way to eat ramen without breaking the bank.

gaku ramen

Photo courtesy of @GakuRamen on Instagram

Ramen bowls vary from 10 to 12 dollars, depending on the type of bowl you get. Photographed above is their most popular menu item, Tonkotsu ramen. It’s made up of house-made pork broth that is simmered for 12 hours, traditional ramen noodles, sliced pork, mushrooms, nori, sesame, a soft boiled egg, and bamboo shoots. This ramen bowl is bursting with flavor, and is even as good leftover as it is fresh.

If pork isn’t your thing, you can try the Chicken Shoyu ramen, the Vegetable Shoyu, or substitute meat for tofu (even if it isn’t on the menu). Gaku Ramen also offers gluten free noodles as a substitute for their traditional ramen noodles.

gaku ramen

Before you dive into your ramen, you need to try the Gaku Buns. These fluffy and sticky steamed buns are filled with either pork or chicken, pickled vegetables, and cilantro, and combine the ultimate comfort food with a fresh crunchy finish.

What makes Gaku Ramen so special is their traditional Japanese cooking techniques. Their menu was crafted by two Japanese ramen masters who have traveled to Burlington to make Gaku Ramen into the ultimate ramen dining experience.

gaku ramen

Photo courtesy of gakuramen.com

Not only does Gaku Ramen serve incredible Japanese cuisine, they also have a full bar and have later hours to accommodate your weekend night-time plans. They have focused their location, menu, and prices all around accommodating the local college community. They are open from 11 am to 10 pm weekdays, and extend their hours later on weekends.

With school starting, Gaku Ramen is the perfect place to dive into Burlington’s restaurant community. Students and parents alike will find it to be an eye opening and delicious experience.