Ames students, residents and visitors are in for a tasty new meal option this fall. Fuzzy’s Taco Shop opened on September 12 and offers more exotic tastes for the palate that are closer than El Azteca in North Ames, or La Fuente out on Duff. Hilton Coliseum isn’t the only place that will be packed this fall.

Where do I go?

beer, pizza, coffee
Sara Martin

Fuzzy’s kills it in terms of distance; it’s the perfect place for a quick lunch run, study break or a pick-up when you’re wandering the streets of Campustown on one of those late nights that are bound to happen—it’s college.  

Located at a comparable walking distance to the dining halls, this little taco shop has slowly been moving into its new home at 2420 Lincoln Way. They’re open from 10 am to midnight Sunday through Wednesday and stays open until 1:30 am on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, so there’s really no reason for you not to go and pick up some grub. 

How much money should I bring?

And price? Let’s just say you won’t be needing a student discount with the prices that are in place. For $10 or less, you can fill up on a few tacos and an 18 oz. margarita. 

Dinner and drinks? Easy. And don’t worry about bringing your big group of friends in; the new shop seats over 100 people and with the fast-paced service, you won’t need to wait around for more than ten minutes before diving into your meal.

What's for dinner?

tacos, salsa, chicken, burrito, cheese
Hannah Eble

So what do you get to eat? That’s the best part. You can start off with a classic bowl of queso, follow it with juicy and flavorful tacos, a plate of loaded nachos or a jumbo burrito filled with pork, brisket, beef, chicken, fish or shrimp. There are so many great options.

Not into meat? Don’t worry, there’s vegetarian options for almost everything. Wash it all down with an ice cold tap beer or margarita and you’re ready to tackle the rest of your day… responsibly, of course.

What's the lowdown?    

beer, pizza, coffee, cake, tea
Sara Martin

So you walk in the doors on Fuzzy’s, what should you expect? Owner Jason Elliott makes sure to point out the light up words on the wall.

“We’re fresh, we’re fast, and we’re fun. We’re new, affordably-priced for everyone, we have the game on the TV and the ‘butt-burning’ hot sauce on the table,” Elliott said.

A little edgy and a little different, but fun nonetheless. The staff is ready to serve you both food and jokes as they have a good time behind the counters. It’s a great atmosphere where you can chow down, hang out with friends near campus (without needing to be over 21 or throwing your fake ID around) and watch the game. 

beer, coffee
Sara Martin

With a wide range of flavors that aims to please many different tastes, surely you can find something right for you at Fuzzy’s Taco Shop. If new flavors and late night queso don’t excite you, think about the best part—the guac DOESN’T cost extra on burritos here.