Frontera’s arrival in Norris raised quite a stir among Northwestern students and prompted many curiosities and questions, one of the loudest being: what is the deal with the hot chocolates? Frontera boasts three different kinds of hot chocolates at the front part of the restaurant, which is open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. For $2.75, you can flood your mouth with some warm decadent chocolate-y goodness.

Frontera Hot Chocolate

Photo by Karen Ding

The hot chocolate flavors offered are classic (just the base), salted almond, and coffee (which is caffeinated!). All three hot chocolates consist of an organic milk and Taza Mexican chocolate base and are served with house-made whipped cream and marshmallows.

Frontera Hot Chocolate

Photo by Karen Ding

Personally, my favorite was the salted almond. I’ve never tasted a drink quite like it and Frontera really gets the salty-sweet combination just right.

Frontera Hot Chocolate

Photo by Karen Ding

If you want to just try one, they are very liberal with samples, and when you actually want to buy one there are two sizes to choose from. You can also pair the delicious drinks with one of the many freshly baked pastries sold such as the pecan pie bar. Plain or with dessert, Frontera hot chocolates (specifically salted almond!) are the way to go when you’re in need of a sweet pick-me-up on the way to class or hanging out at Norris. Happy drinking!

Frontera Hot Chocolate

Photo by Karen Ding