For most, trick-or-treating is a special event reserved for Halloween night. But as someone who just spent my birthday walking from restaurant to restaurant racking up free snacks, let me tell you, birthday trick-or-treating is entirely possible. You're only a few sign-ups (think, the birthday-version of a doorbell on Halloween) away from being showered with free food on your birthday.  

Some of these membership rewards require a bit of planning! If you want to maximize your freebies, I'd recommend signing up at least a month in advance of your big day. All you have to do is give the restaurant your name, email, and, of course, birth date. 

I was counting down the days until my birthday, but little did I know, I wouldn't even have to wait to get the party started. Some of these restaurants are just as excited as you are about your birthday, and they'll email you free food coupons a whole week beforehand! 

I like to think of these memberships as giving a birthday present to my future-self because now, I'll get free food on my birthday next year, too. So, happy birthday to me, and you. 

Stop #1) Starbucks 

Honestly, the most draining part of turning one year older is replying to all those birthday posts from friends on Facebook and Instagram. Thankfully, Starbucks wants to help out. Fuel up and start your birthday off right with a free drink from Starbucks.

Stop #2) Einstein's Bagels

Traditionally, I like to start my birthday with a heaping pile of M&M pancakes, but I’ll always make an exception for free food. With my free Starbucks coffee in hand, I skipped across Sherman Avenue to Einstein’s Bagels for my birthday breakfast: A free, fresh-cracked egg sandwich with any purchase.

Stop #3) Nothing Bundt Cakes 

It's still pretty early in the day, but you're going to need something sweet to tide you over before it's socially acceptable to start eating your real-sized birthday cake. A free birthday bundtlet from Nothing Bundt Cakes is the perfect sugary snack. It's so cute you won't want to eat it, but it's so tasty that you will. 

Stop #4) Cold Stone Creamery 

But is it even possible to overdo it on sweets when it's your birthday? I think not, so I'd recommend bundt-ing your butt to Cold Stone after you finish off your mini cake. Make sure to bring a friend along with you because your birthday coupon at Cold Stone is buy one, get one free!

Stop #5) Edible Arrangements 

It may be dipped in chocolate, but it's still a strawberry, and that makes it healthy, right? If you didn't already know, on your birthday, you're always right. Sign up for Edible Rewards and get a free 12-count chocolate dipped fruit box from Edible Arrangements (typically $29!).

Stop #6) Panera 

Half-soup, half-salad? Mac & cheese? Bread bowl? The possibilities at Panera are endless, so it's no surprise their birthday giveaway goes above and beyond. Not only do you get a free pastry or sweet for your birthday, but one for signing up too!

Stop #7) Noodles & Company 

Imagine a cheese pull but with marshmallow. Not only are Noodles & Company Rice Krispie Treats massive, they are also jam-packed with gooey, melted marshmallow. Celebrate with a free birthday Rice Krispie Treat and three dollars off your next purchase just for signing up!

Stop #8) Subway 

By the time my birthday freebie adventure was nearly over, I was famished from all that walking. But not for long, as I popped into Subway for a free 6-inch sub and drink. Why eat fancy on your birthday when you could eat fresh?

It's easier to have a happy birthday when the whole word seems to be giving you gifts. Get all your coupons in place and have fun birthday trick-or-treating!