Although the Fox & Stag is the one of the newest bars in town, it’s already a diamond-in-the-rough. I mean, this is a place you only find in storybooks. But now that’s all changed. Owners Derek Hart and Costa T. Vathis Jr. knew just what Tallahassee needed. As business partners, they manage Rock-It-Ships (Derek is CEO), Fire Betty’s and now the Fox & Stag. I’s say they sure know how to run a business. Here’s 5 ways they’re making history (or at least bringing it back to Tallahassee).

1. Drinks are all original recipes

Bar

Photo by Paula Kreutzer

If you really want the best, then you’ll get it right here. Every cocktail offered is based on the oldest and most authentic recipes the bartenders could find in existence, from the Old Fashioned to the French 75.

For the signature cocktails, the bartenders cooked up their own originals, including a nostalgia-inducing Root Beer Float. Although this place only offers beverages, Taco Republik next door has got you covered if you crave a late-night snack after enjoying a to die for martini (or two).

2. Local bands play live music every night

Bar

Photo by Paula Kreutzer

That’s right, folks. This sound is straight outta Tallahassee. Showcasing Bluegrass, Jazz, Folk and Blues bands such as the Will Fulkerson Trio, Mickey Abraham & the Acoustic Messengers, and Odria & Tolles Duo, this place features talent that’d make Frank Sinatra proud. Sink into a comfy leather chair, sip a swizzle, and soak in the music. It’s as classy and sweet as the venue.

3. You’ll enter another era

Bar

Photo by Paula Kreutzer

If you feel like an old soul and sometimes out of place in this modern era, you’ll fit right into the ‘New Orleans café’ style atmosphere of this whimsical bar. It’s the best of both worlds. Although the Fox & Stag is the perfect rendezvous spot for any lovebirds, it’s not a dance club. It caters to folks who want to relax from their busy lives, enjoy a killer drink, and laugh the stress away with friends and family.

4. Every wall tells a story

Bar

Photo by Paula Kreutzer

Although this bar is themed after a fable (check it out here), it’s the real deal. The paintings, illustrated by Matt Manning of Monument Tattoos (check out his instagram @oldmanmanning), on every wall unravel the story of the Fox & Stag. No other place in Tallahassee captures the imagination quite like this one, except for maybe Fire Betty’s. Talk about childhood dreams come true…It seems Mr. Hart and Mr. Vathis are the bar kings of Tallahassee. Well, at least in their wonderful, whiskey-fuled worlds.

5. It offers high quality for reasonable prices

Bar

Photo by Paula Kreutzer

It’s the truth. This place offers the best cocktails of each type of liquor, and it’s actually afforadable. It’s like getting a Ferrari on clearance (if that’s even thing). It’s not even fair…to the bartenders and owners I mean. But all they care about is YOU. Just enjoy the night, let go of the worries, and unwind into a leather chair with a glass of Pinot Noir.

6. It’s a place of professionals

Bar

Photo by Paula Kreutzer; From left to right: Bruce Bostick, Derek Hart, Costa Vathis, DJ Levi, Brynn Paulsen, Evan Brown, Laura Jones

I’ve gotta hand it to these bartenders; they know their trade. One of the bartenders even keeps a journal of all his own masterpieces that he concocts in the kitchen after he comes home from work. Talk about committed! But it all pays off. Drink-making is an art to these guys. They’re so good, it’s like going to the theatre or watching a chef at Benihana sling sushi in front of you. You get so enraptured, you can’t help but watch them work.