Week three of exploring A&M’s food trucks brings us to Chef Tai. Aggie owned since 2010, Chef Tai is a symbol of A&M’s move toward more modern on campus dining. For less than $15, Aggies can enjoy the taste of upscale dining without wasting precious study time.

Usually parked by the Liberal Arts building for lunch and on Food Trucks Row (same area as MESS Waffles) for dinner, Chef Tai offers delicious Wagyu burgers, steaming hot rice bowls (with an assortment of toppings), mac & cheese, Korean BBQ, and truffle Parmesan fries.

food trucks

Photo by Kaylee McIntosh

#SpoonTip: Gluten-free options are available if you ask!

My experience at Chef Tai included one of their most popular dishes – calamari tacos. Fresh, crunchy, and a delicious balance of flavors made this one of the best seafood based tacos I’ve ever eaten. My added side of truffle Parmesan fries made the entire meal feel very salty, but separately both components were amazing.

food trucks

Photo by Kaylee McIntosh

If you’re craving a Chipotle bowl but still aren’t sure whether to eat there or not, Chef Tai offers a delicious version of a rice bowl. Steamed rice, sauteed veggies, vegetable slaw, pickled onions, lettuce AND your choice of meat (or meatless: tofu) for the same price as your Chipotle fave.

In 2011, the food truck won Food Network’s “America’s Favorite Food Truck” competition – bringing attention to (and competition from) newer food trucks in town. Since then, they are still the most popular truck on campus. Don’t let the line scare you away though, because it’s easily some of the best food in town.

food trucks

Photo by Kaylee McIntosh